Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lifter tick cheap fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifter tick cheap fix

so my tahoe got the dreaded lifter tick at 150k miles. started planning on doing the DOD delete and CAM/lifters. Saw some youtube videos where people were cleaning the lifter with some B12 carb cleaner and the noise went away. Thought I would try it and it is super quiet now! Seems to idle better too. I really dont know how long this will last before it goes bad again but at least I have more time to save up money. Just a note that it seemed like my pushrods had blockages in them, spraying the carb cleaner in the pushrod seemed to clear it out and allow the oil to get to the lifter easier. thought i would post my experience for others that might have the same issue.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You ought to see what kind of crap is inside of a lifter of that mileage! Coked up oil and sludge...inside the pushrods also.

RT
Old 10-06-2016, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07Softail
You ought to see what kind of crap is inside of a lifter of that mileage! Coked up oil and sludge...inside the pushrods also.

RT
yeah the smell of cooked oil is strong in there. i have been loosing a couple quarts of oil with each change, so i need to do the DOD delete anyway.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

where is this youtube vid?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
where is this youtube vid?

i havent done the motor flush yet but the b12 stuff worked. you can hear the difference in the video, i had the same results.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

still going strong. just did another oil change with some full synth high mileage, still quiet and idles smooth. havent really checked the burning oil level but i pulled out 5+liters out for the oil change so it may be better but i dont know how much oil was put in last change. this time i did the oil change myself to be sure.

so yeah, no reason to rip out your lifters right away, this worked well for me. didnt even do the motor flush.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Video is painful to watch, dude is super annoying.

Cliff notes: very obvious lifter tick; he pulls valve covers, rockers, pushrods. Squirts lots of B12 carb cleaner down pushrod guide hole into tops of lifters. Replaces pushrods and again squirts B12 down them. Then adds Gunk motor flush to existing oil, runs it, then changes oil. (well we assume he does! not actually included in video. But the engine is running without the tick.)

The B12 seems like a reasonable approach before tearing into it to replace lifters. Like Jeff, I don't know if I would be so quick to do the motor flush product as I'm not a big believer in them, but again if it was a last ditch effort, why not. Just be sure to change the oil immediately afterwards and I would personally be on an aggressive oil change schedule for the next couple of times to be sure I had all that crap out of the system.

Dunno if it would have helped my old work truck 2009 3500HD with the 6.0; it went from bad to really bad in a hurry. We did pretty regular oil changes on it but in retrospect I wonder if our shop was even using the correct grade of oil since they bought in bulk (HUGE tanks.) I would bet they just used what they had and it may not have been correct.

Bad

Worse

Richard