Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter noise??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try to clean the lifters but you need to know witch one is the one making the noise u can do this as a last resort if you know exactly witch one is making the noise if you do this and the noise still there then you have to chance the lifter,,,, lifters get clog inside and this cause oil not to go true and this makes the noise if you have success cleaning the noise will go away.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TimDave217
the reason he is asking what the sound is, is so we can determine what the problem more than likely is. the sewing machine tick is more than likely the lifters from experience. and i'm sure plenty others will agree.
ive also seen people mistake the injector noise for lifter tick.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

My wifes 04 yukon with the 5.3 did this a while ago and it was knocking its *** off. It almost sounded like a rod bearing knocking. I loosened the rockers and sprayed Berrymans b-12 carb cleaner with a straw into the pushrods while holding them firmly on the lifters and plunging them up and down with the pushrods. I did this so it could get into the lifters and break up the clog. I retightened the rockers and put a fresh oil change with a quart of dex3 in it. It took a couple of hours driving it around here and there to free it up totally. I changed the oil after it stopped knocking and now its quiet as a church mouse. BTW we bought this vehicle used 4 years and 50,000 miles before the knocking sound started. I have always changed the oil on time and used synthetic oil and a good filter so there is no faulty maitenance on my part to blame it on. Maybe some sludge or trash from the previous owners neglect broke free and cause it but Im not sure. This happende atleast 10,000 miles ago and its still going strong and being used as a dd'er. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
My wifes 04 yukon with the 5.3 did this a while ago and it was knocking its *** off. It almost sounded like a rod bearing knocking. I loosened the rockers and sprayed Berrymans b-12 carb cleaner with a straw into the pushrods while holding them firmly on the lifters and plunging them up and down with the pushrods. I did this so it could get into the lifters and break up the clog. I retightened the rockers and put a fresh oil change with a quart of dex3 in it. It took a couple of hours driving it around here and there to free it up totally. I changed the oil after it stopped knocking and now its quiet as a church mouse. BTW we bought this vehicle used 4 years and 50,000 miles before the knocking sound started. I have always changed the oil on time and used synthetic oil and a good filter so there is no faulty maitenance on my part to blame it on. Maybe some sludge or trash from the previous owners neglect broke free and cause it but Im not sure. This happende atleast 10,000 miles ago and its still going strong and being used as a dd'er. Hope this helps.
^^^ yeap this is how you doit and it will work