Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lc9 finally died

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lc9 finally died

I have a 07 burb 4x4 with an lc9. The motor is knocking and I'm NOT putting any money into this engine. The LC9 sucks.......a lot of oil...or at least it did. I have read that I can get an LY6 and put the top end of my LC9 on it. I would delete the active fuel management(don't think that the LY6 has that anyway), not sure about the vvt.... I do pull a boat in the summer time (5,000lbs) short distances. I do not want to totally kill my fuel mileage but some mild mods would be nice. I have a couple of questions:

1. will a complete ly6 be a direct bolt in replacement for the lc9? Will the accessories, down pipes, etc bolt up with no mods?

2. what advantage is there to putting the top end of the LC9 on the LY6

3. how can I identify an LY6 ( if I source from a junk yard). Most salvage yards around here ( Atlanta) pull the engines and are sitting on racks, so there is now way to know for sure what vehicle the motor came from

4. if I go with the LC9 top end, should I change the cam?

5. What are pros and cons of the VVT? (probably will delete)

This will be a daily driver and rarely sees rpms over 3500. I really like the lower end throttle response of a torquey engine...
I have called everyone that I know to call (about 30 different shops) on the LY6 conversion, from gm dealers to performance shops/parts etc, and no one seems to know anything about this swap. I really need to get the burb back on the road, but I want to make sure that I get the right parts. If I'm going to spend money for a new motor, I definitely want something that has better reliability than the LC9

Thanks
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The lc9 isnt a bad engine persay, just too much going on and are notorious for stuck rings, which cause the oil consumption! If you get any gen iv engine, plan on changing the cam bearings to either the updated gm coated bearings or a good set of aftermarket coated bearings! The ly6, l76, l96, l77(caprice engine) and any other gen iv engine would be a direct drop in, dod being deleted is a good idea, however vvt for low end torque is a good thing! The whole purpose was to get into the powerband earlier, stay in it longer and still give you top end! The down side is it is harder to tune, and it uses oil pressure to activate the actuator which is supplied through the #2 cam journal, which will make the cam bearings in theory go out sooner than without. Using the 799/243 off of you lc9 is very possible, just make sure to send them to a machine shop and get a valve job done and a new set of valve stem seals installed.. Your truck being an 07 shouldnt have vvt(just dawned on me), but it is fairly easy to add if you so choose, as its only two wires and chances are the ly6 will already have it. The easiest way to tell if it an ly6 or l96 is the steel block with gen iv/6.0 embossed on it. Such as...

This is my l92 but the cast ly6/l96 will have the same basic thing but have either gen IV 6.0 or just IV 6.0 on the block usually in the bellhousing end and on the front of the block behind the ps pump bracket

I personally decided to keep the vvt and add it and a 6l80 to my yukon, but was personal preference and a bit of a challenge, as i cant leave anything stock and newer is always better... Something about 300+ ft lbs of torque at something like 3500rpms in my dd sounds very interesting to me....
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjones205
I have a 07 burb 4x4 with an lc9. The motor is knocking and I'm NOT putting any money into this engine. The LC9 sucks.......a lot of oil...or at least it did. I have read that I can get an LY6 and put the top end of my LC9 on it. I would delete the active fuel management(don't think that the LY6 has that anyway), not sure about the vvt.... I do pull a boat in the summer time (5,000lbs) short distances. I do not want to totally kill my fuel mileage but some mild mods would be nice. I have a couple of questions:

1. will a complete ly6 be a direct bolt in replacement for the lc9? Will the accessories, down pipes, etc bolt up with no mods?

2. what advantage is there to putting the top end of the LC9 on the LY6

3. how can I identify an LY6 ( if I source from a junk yard). Most salvage yards around here ( Atlanta) pull the engines and are sitting on racks, so there is now way to know for sure what vehicle the motor came from

4. if I go with the LC9 top end, should I change the cam?

5. What are pros and cons of the VVT? (probably will delete)

This will be a daily driver and rarely sees rpms over 3500. I really like the lower end throttle response of a torquey engine...
I have called everyone that I know to call (about 30 different shops) on the LY6 conversion, from gm dealers to performance shops/parts etc, and no one seems to know anything about this swap. I really need to get the burb back on the road, but I want to make sure that I get the right parts. If I'm going to spend money for a new motor, I definitely want something that has better reliability than the LC9

Thanks
1. The LY6 is a direct bolt in for any gen IV truck engine.
I know because I just replaced my hi mileage L76 in my 2008 VMAX. I've got 1900 miles on the LY6 now.

2. Not sure, maybe cathedral port vs square port debate material.
I like my square ports.

3. The 50K mile engine I bought said 6.0 and Gen IV right on the block (cast iron block, of course)

4. The engine I found on CL came with a new LS9 cam and lifters and timing set, and oil pump. I like this setup a lot, it runs very well.

5. VVT or not is another debate. I agree that the right VVT setup should be superior, but mine came with VVT delete and LS9 cam, so it was a budget move for me. Mast and others sell a upgraded cam and VVT setup, however, I am convinced mine runs as well or better than the stock L76 VVT at all rpms, so I'm happy. Just make sure you get a good tune.

Note: I found out my motor mounts were both shot and had to order new ones, and I went ahead and ordered all of the gaskets and seals I needed, since they were not in stock, or more expensive locally.
I did have to drill out the knock sensors for a larger bolt, but I think those bolt holes in the side of the block had been messed with. I could not find knock sensors with a larger hole, so I drilled them out, carefully.
Also, I built my own pre-oiler from a garden sprayer, so I had instant oil pressure at start up.

Let me know if you have any questions, it's an easy swap, really.
I did not remove the hood or any front end sheetmetal and I used a Tractor Supply engine lift that worked well for me.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Everytime i put an engine in a truck someone inevitable jokes me that its not a transverse engine.... I drop them in the hole sideways, then when the balancer is below the core support i spin it... On the cathedral port vs square port heads either will work, just require different cams, and the lfa 6.0 in the hybrids come with 243 or 799 heads...
Old 08-19-2016, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys, this is a HUGE help!!! I have found some engines and I am going to look at them next week.

One question - I have to have emissions done in the county that I live in. if I use a tuner/programmer to delete the functions of the active fuel management and the VVT, will I still pass emissions?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It will still pass so long as you still have your cat converters to pass the sniffer.

DoD isn't active at idle ever and pretty much the same with VVT.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where do you live? Thought VA was only state that somecounties required sniffer, others dont..

Just make sure the block doesnt look like this...

Old 08-21-2016, 11:49 AM

ouch.....you might have a little trouble keeping oil in that one...LOL. ive got some diesel engines that look like that.
I live on the outskirts of Atlanta. If i lived one county further out...no emissions, and yes they do the sniffer here.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

More trouble building compression or turning the engine over, the rod is sticking through the block on the opposite side of the big hole
Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM

I pick up my ly6 tomorrow. It has 150k miles. I am going to go through the engine....new rings, bearings, valves, oil pump etc......vvt delete.
Soooooooo, since the cam is going to be out, probably should upgrade that. Any recommendations on cam and a tuner? Still needs to pass emissions. I am also going to get the ecm with the ly6. Should I use that ECM which originated from a truck or use the original ecm that I have for the lc9 and reprogram...???

Quick Reply: Lc9 finally died