Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default issues after cam install

I installed a BTR stage 2 truck cam last weekend with LS6 springs this past weekend. I'm feeling a shudder when I'm driving the truck at 50-60 mph. When the transmission is in 4th gear and the convertor is locked if I give it a little gas it shudders like I'm driving over rumble strips. I do have a engine misfire code (P0300) and a wheel speed sensor (C0035). I did expect a misfire code and the speed sensor code is a separate issue I believe. The shudder is a new one though and I noticed it a few days after the cam install. I do not have the truck tuned for the cam yet but the engine seems to run just fine. Initially I reused the plugs but tonight I replaced the plugs and wires to see if maybe I'm feeling a misfire. I can't imagine there is coolant in the transmission causing the issue but I suppose that is a possibility. I am attaching a video of how it idles and ill try and video the shudder if it persists. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Iconic Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just need a tune
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Get it tuned, that's a fairly mild cam but without a tune what do you expect.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I know the idle issue is tuning related, I'm more concerned with the shuddering in 4th gear. I posted the video in case anyone heard any abnormalities that I'm not hearing. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Is it possible that a misfire or tuning issue could be causing the 4th gear shudder at low rpms?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bearden86
Is it possible that a misfire or tuning issue could be causing the 4th gear shudder at low rpms?
Kinda sounds like torque converter sudder to me. I have felt this in 2 different trucks and turns out the torque converter was the culprit. In my experience, it would happen in 4th with the torque converter locked and if i started going up a hill or just steadily increasing the throttle applying more of a load to the engine the torque converter would start to shudder and vibrate the interior. In both instances it was just the torque converter going out. But since you have installed a cam and not tuned it yet then get the tune done first before you start throwing other parts at it. I have a feeling that p0300 code is hurting you.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I think your right I'm setting an appointment up to get my truck tuned. I'm hoping it's not the transmission though I've never had a single problem with it until after the cam install.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Misfires will not allow converter to lock, random ones can cause it to unlock and lock. Like stated, get a tune so you can find out what's going on. You're not doing it any good by continuing to drive it like it is
Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I'm working on getting a tune (bear), in the mean time I'm hoping someone will chime in that has possibly had a similar issue. Thanks for the reply
Old 10-02-2015, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You might need this even after a tune. Misfire detection will cause no lockup, not shudder. And your truck is probably not misfiring, but to the misfire detection routine in the PCM, the cam lope is making it look like misfires.
Attached Thumbnails issues after cam install-dr-tranny.jpg  

Quick Reply: issues after cam install