Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Intake Tube for NNBS Intake Manifold Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Tube for NNBS Intake Manifold Swap

Those of you who have done a TBSS/NNBS intake swap, what intake tube are you using?

I just got the NNBS intake manifold installed on my 6.0 swap in my 2005. I was given an Air Raid MIT tube #200-996 off a friends 08 truck and was thinking it would fit with the 87mm throttle body. It's hitting the upper radiator hose so I can't get it to line up with the filter box and it is also about 1-1.5 inches too short. I've looked at some pictures and it looks like the MAF sensor in the 07-08 trucks is longer to make up this distance, but I can't figure out anything on the upper radiator hose. It looks like they would be the same between the NBS and NNBS, and I would have thought the Air Raid tube would go over it just fine.

Anyone have an idea what intake tube will fit?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the same Airaid tube off of an 08 model. I had to purchase a longer silicone connector to make up the extra length to the MAF. Its a 95MM diameter, 4 inch long coupler. I was able to loosen the upper radiator hose at the water pump drive it down further on the pump spout. This paired with pulling the hose more to the driver's side slightly allowed me to clear the tube. The hose does rest on or close to the intake tube, so I just wrapped it in a small piece of heat sheath for insurance against friction and higher IATs.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Also, in reference to the upper radiator hose between NBS and NNBS. The hose is slightly different. The NNBS pumps have a straight spout that's about 3 inches long, vs the 6 inch curved spout of the NBS. Because of this, the NNBS hose is molded slightly different on the WP end.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I used this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...-400/overview/

with a couple silicone couplings. Worked great and easy to tap for vacuum and MAF removal.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks for the help!

I'll double check some measurements tonight and look into ordering the silicone couplings to make it all work.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

I took some pictures of my setup for you this afternoon. Forgive me for my engine bay being a bit messy, I've been doing quite a bit of work on this thing lately and haven't cleaned up my greasy hand prints.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the pictures. Doesn't look dirty to me. I wish I could keep mine that clean.

The intake looks really good. I see what you did with the upper radiator hose.

After some measurements I realized the outside diameter of the 87 mm throttle body was the same as my 78 mm, so I ended up throwing the factory intake tube back on today hoping I could get the engine fired up for the first time. Didn't make it and gave up for the night, but it should happen tomorrow.

The NNBS intake has an angle to the throttle body and it almost seems to sit up a little higher. It makes the silencer chamber on the factory intake tube swing forward and hit the fan shroud, but it clears the upper radiator hose. I'll have to do something different for a permanent install, but this should let me get the truck started tomorrow.

I'm thinking about just ordering the MIT tube for my 05 truck. It should be the right length and clear the upper radiator hose. Only problem I can think of may be the angle of the throttle body.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

The 05 MIT worked fine for me too. I ran it prior to the 08 tube, but I opted to upgrade to the 08 tube because it's diameter is larger and doesn't pinch down in the middle like the 05 did.

Here re are some pictures of the 05 tube. Fit pretty much fine.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks again. Something to think about with the larger diameter of the newer tube.

I got the truck started after the engine swap today. I ended up with a cluster problem that I need to figure out and I also need to get all the fluid levels right so it's movable. Those are taking priority over the intake tube for the next few days, but I do appreciate the pictures. They helped a ton.