Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go. 2013 4.8 to 6.2 Project. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here we go. 2013 4.8 to 6.2 Project. Need advice

Longtime lurker, first time poster so please bear with me. I have scoured all the forums regarding this but feel the need to ask the professionals.

Recently acquired a 25k mile 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4.8 with the sole intention of modding the crap out of the truck. After a custom diablo tune and a couple of quotes from a local shop, it seems to be more cost beneficial to start the project with the swap to the 6.2.

My main goal is to keep this as daily driveable as possible as it's my airport car but have as much power as possible (500-600 whp).

Here's my outline so far (please comment as you see fit):

Phase 1
Simple swap of the 4.8 for a 6.2. 6.2 is from a local yard with 55k on it for 3.5k. Comes out of 2009 Silverado 1500 and includes a 6 month warranty. Also includes everything, accessories, harness, ecu, and o2 sensors.

I also could get a 6.2 from another local yard from a 2013 Silverado for a little cheaper but has higher mileage (Any significant difference?)

Phase 2
Truck currently has the 4l60 with 3.23's so swap 4l60 with a 4l80 and new 3.73's, posi unit and stall.

Phase 3
New cam, springs, pushrods and lifters. Possibly new heads.

Phase 4
Stage 5 trick turbo kit.

Couple of questions.
I think I read that Nelson Performance can simply re-flash the new 6.2 ecu with my VIN and put a simple tune on it and then mail it back. I would then install all the new 6.2 components into my truck (I know my current accessories will fit the 6.2, so I may just swap those out). Any recommendations here regarding VVT as AFM isn't a player?

2. Would the 6.2 exhaust manifolds mate to my existing exhaust or would that need to be done during the swap?

3. Should I just stick with the 4.8 and basically follow the same plan. Cam, trans, gears and turbo?

Any gotchas, potential headaches, or pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by capt_zman; 02-13-2017 at 01:57 PM.