Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heater Core R&R Labor Hours??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core R&R Labor Hours??

Can anyone tell me how many labor hours it calls for to replace a heater core in a 2000 Silverado? Mine is making a terrible noise and I've tried to bleed the air out of it about 5 times now. It must have a fin separated from the coil itself, or be loose in the plastic box somehow. I'm just wondering how bad it's gonna be to get in there after it, it doesn't look easy at all. Anyone ever done one? Thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually if i remember correctly you pull the bottom off on the big black heater box, and you should be able to get it out not easy but not real hard....

it should have 2 metal brackets holding it, and a few seals... otherwise should be easy.... this is all by memry but i believe it to be accurate....

I just hope you are smaller than me.... cause getting down on that floor and doing taht at 6'5" is not easy
Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey ****,

What noise is it making??? is is like a gurgling noise???

To replace the core, you have to remove the dash... BIG PITA...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Yep....it's making a gurgling type of noise. I put this vacuum pump thing (my brother in law has it, he owns his own shop) and it sucked all of the hoses flat!! I would have thought it would have taken any air that is in it out. I also did the thing from the GM service book where you run the truck for a min. with the cap off. Install cap loosely, run for 3 min. cycling engine from 1000rpm to 3000 rpm, re-install cap, blah blah blah, and the noise is changing, but not for the better or worse, just different! I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do???? Any ideas? I'd hate to put a H/C in it and have it still do it, but it's getting to the point where its' driving me crazy. HELP!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK BUD JUST TALKED TO ONE OF MY ENGINEERS....

he said disconnect the inlet connection at the firewall, and take the rubber restrictor out with a pick.... over time it can deteriorate.... and will cause the water to slosh going past it..... if that fixes it... dont worry about putting a new one in... it will run fine without it
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Thanks for "hanging in there" with me!! I'll try it tomorrow and report back!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Which one is the inlet connection? Is it on the right or left? I'm thinking it is on the right, coming from the back side of the water pump.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you change the heater core...there's an orifice on one of the heater core inlet/outlets that was designed to eliminate that noise. Turns out it actually makes more noise. My truck used to do the same thing (gurgling), and I brought it in under warranty, and they either removed or reamed that orifice out, and the noise has been gone ever since. The noise didn't start immediately either, it took about 3 years before it occured. From what my buddy told me (service writer at the dealer), it's a fairly common complaint.

*EDIT* I just realized that CHEVYRACER83 is referring to the same thing I just mentioned...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Before you change the heater core...there's an orifice on one of the heater core inlet/outlets that was designed to eliminate that noise. Turns out it actually makes more noise. My truck used to do the same thing (gurgling), and I brought it in under warranty, and they either removed or reamed that orifice out, and the noise has been gone ever since. The noise didn't start immediately either, it took about 3 years before it occured. From what my buddy told me (service writer at the dealer), it's a fairly common complaint.

HAHA THANKS BUD... I WORK AT GM.... AND YEAH THERE IS A RESTRICTOR TAHT CAUSES THAT..... I ALREADY TOLD HIM... ALL HE NEEDS TO DO IS USE A PIC AND GET TEH RUBBER RESTRICTOR OUT, AND HELL BE SET

*EDIT* HAHA.... DAMN WE EDIT TO MUCH!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Btw Badmofo I Know I Owe You Some Decals Just Been Really Really Bust.... The General Has Got Me Pretty Strapped Right Now... I Will Work On Them.... Do You Want Them Like The Font You Have Right Now??? Or Like The Old Block Font You Had?

Quick Reply: Heater Core R&R Labor Hours??