Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a minute to help me out? Please give me advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

going N/A will want you begging for more in no time even at 350rwhp
are you open to running a stall or swapping to better gears?
those 2 things will give you the best bang for your buck for what you want
I have ran numerous setups and found what has worked and what hasn't
compression is great in these heavy trucks for that extra torque down low but you really need to figure out what cam you will be going with forsure to make sure you have PTV clearance.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With that amount of lift you will be just fine. Some might say that the specs of that cam are a little low for a 6.0 but its not far from where you need to be. I wouldnt go with a huge cam because it will make your lifted heavy truck a dog around town. Unless its geared right and stalled to match the cam. I would suggest maybe a little lower lsa to bring the torque on sooner to get your truck moving. A lower lsa will also give you a little more thump or lope from the exhaust. My advice would be to nail down what gears your going to run and then decide on a cam. Because gears will affect what cam these guys recommend to you. I feel like you would be happy with 4.56's or 4.88's since your only running 35's. The 4.88's would deff get you moving quick but then you would also be cruising at a higher rpm which will make the truck even more thirsty than it already is.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have 2800 stall and 4:56 gears with 35" tires. I drive the freeway to get to the desert and I don't want to blow through all my gas getting there with tall gears. Out of these cams what would you guys reccoment?
LS TRUCK CAMSHAFT
Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

This is my list so far! What do you guys think? Or what would you change? Remember I live in California so small is a factor and its my only vehicle so I can't stress reliability enough!
LQ4 long block $800-1500

Motor swap +cam install + tune $2000

243/799 heads $300+ machine work& valves
Arrow engines and machine shop Temecula

Cast Iron & Aluminum Oil Pumps

Cam "The Trucker"
LS TRUCK CAMSHAFT

Hardened pushrods
LS Chromoly Pushrods 3/8" Diameter, Set of 16 - Brian Tooley Racing

Valve springs
Texas Speed and Performance - PAC 1218

Trunion upgrade
Lunati GM OEM LS1 Rocker Arms with Upgraded Trunions

Ls2 timing chain
Cloyes LS2-4x Hex-A-Just True Roller Single-Roller Timing Set, Includes Z06 Chain, 3-Bolt Cam
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is your cruising rpm now?

Since your goal is fast 0-80 and retain reliability i would say gears first because they will be reliable and get your heavy truck moving. Then when thats settled pick a cam that will suit your needs. Are you more concerned with it screaming and moving out at 5k-6k rpm or being a better driver at all rpm ranges with more go over stock?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

I want more power off the line and have power to pull hard to 6k. I already red line my truck and I'm starting to get worried so when she quits on me I want this motor ready to drop in. I have no desire to go over 80mph so i guess torque will be my best friend to get me up and moving.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01silvy
What is your cruising rpm now?

Since your goal is fast 0-80 and retain reliability i would say gears first because they will be reliable and get your heavy truck moving. Then when thats settled pick a cam that will suit your needs. Are you more concerned with it screaming and moving out at 5k-6k rpm or being a better driver at all rpm ranges with more go over stock?

Cruising rpm would be around 2700 and that's as high as I want it on the freeway because I'm haveing to drive 65 to save on gas for long trips and I hate driving like a grandpa but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that is a high cruising rpm! Your right in the meat of the torque curve though. I say you keep the gears you have now and go with a decently mild camshaft, nothing crazy or you wont be satisfied with the low end. Also, you can do the trunion upgrade to the rockers in your engine now and reuse them when hou swap the lq4 in if they are in good shape. That would save you some money rather than buying rockers with the trunion upgrade already done.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

What cam would you suggest to go with my build?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well you said you already had a 2800 stall so that is a step in the right direction. The cam you mentioned wouldnt be bad but after a little while you would probably have wished you gone a little bigger. You can always have a custom cam ground for about the same cost as one off the shelf. I would say as long as you keep the intake duration around 218-222 and the exhaust duration in the 224-228 range you would be happy and the stall you already have would work good with those specs. As far as lift you could keep it fairly mild like .55x"-.58x" and would flow great for your needs. Then the lsa i would suggest 112+4-114+4 to keep your power curve about where you would want it. Im sure more people will chime in about it. Im no cam expert by any means but the specs i suggested i feel would be good for you setup and goals.

Quick Reply: Got a minute to help me out? Please give me advice!