Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a minute to help me out? Please give me advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a minute to help me out? Please give me advice! Lq4 build

Lq4 budget build plans:
Hey guys I have been doing months of research on this subject and there's so many options and opinions and I was just trying to get more of a direct answer specifically for my plans on the build and have some people suggest parts they think will better suit me. Keep in mind my main goal is going 0-80 as fast as possible whiteout sacrificing any reliability and still passing the lame California sniffer. This is an offroad truck and a daily driver. I love racing the little Hondas and ricers around and then jumping my truck right after. Here's my current specs on my truck and I'll get pictures uploaded after I get my new tires thrown own.
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ 305,000 miles on the frame. The 5.3l motor has 150,000 miles and the new 4l80 trans I installed has less than 3,000 miles on it. As far as performance I have a cold air intake, custom street tune, a full 3" exhaust, and a 2800 stall TC.
My truck is used for offroading so it has 35" tires and I upgraded the rearend with 31 spline axles, detroit tru trac locker, and 4:56 gears.

Now that you guys have background info I can tell you what I want and hope to get suggestions and comments.
Main thing to think about with this build:
I want it reliable as hell. I will sacrifice power for reliability all day. I want to be able to go 0-80 pretty quickly so torque is a must as well as horsepower(reliable tho). Oh and I live in California so It HAS TO PASS SMOG!!! With a good tune I've heard anything under 224/224 on 114 will work. But that like a different language to me so I'm not sure what that means.
So far all I have on my list of what I need to buy are the following.

-LQ4 engine
-243 heads(should I mill them for more compression? And what's it cost?)
-Looking for a good cam that I can pass smog with. I really like Vinchis "The Trucker" cam but not sure if that will pass smog. LS TRUCK CAMSHAFT
-Valve springs! Help me out with these guys!
-Good tune
-Melling high pressure oil pump.
-True Union upgrade? (What's that? I've been told it's a necessity for reliability.

Let me know what you guys think! Thank you for your help and opinions.

Last edited by 04silvy1500 2wd; 04-07-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

100+ views and nobody has any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine choice is fine, 05+ has a better design.
Stock 243s are more than adequate for what you want.
Call some shops for a custom cam, make sure it meets your goals. (Tick, Comp, Lil John)
Valve Springs are whatever, stick with a known brand. (I have Tooleys and they are great)
Melling Pump is fine
I think the Trunion upgrade is not needed for you. Stock rockers are plenty capable.

Do the LS2 Timing chain while you are at it as well.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

What springs would be better for less maintenance? Behind or duel springs?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Duals, it depends on the cam lift what is truly required.

Beehives are lighter and because of this widely considered easier on valvetrain parts.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

I have similar desires as you haha. Leveled truck with heavy 20inch chrome Silverado SS wheels and heavy 295/55/20 nitto trails. For me if I can ever get around to build a lq4 i would use stock bottom end, 243 heads milled to net me around 10:5:1 compression, valve job with 2" intake and some prc 1218's. Then just a mild cam like a TFS 214/220 and some headers. Trunion upgrade would be a bonus as well as the high pressure oil pump. Not necessary but would be cool
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even on a stick engine the trunnion upgrade is a good idea. It prevents little needle bearings from poiring out inside your engine. The stock trunnions have failed on stock engines that didnt have a lit of miles....
Old 04-07-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

defanitly do the trunion upgrade.
being someone that has been down this path I will tell you it wont be cheap to make a lifted truck quick.
if you care about 0-80 then gears will be your best friend, scrap the 31 spline axle upgrade and just go straight to a SF14b or 14ff diff and put some 5.13 gears in it.
the best thing to do after that would be a supercharger, if you don't have money for that then getting a custom cam from Geoff from EPS or stock48 would be a good idea. I also found a stall to be a great investment but if you do a lot of slow trail riding then you will want to keep the stall a little tamer.
nitrous is also a cheap way to get these heavy trucks rolling faster
Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Whose a good shop/person to talk to about getting 243 heads milled and what's that cost on average? And how about the trunion thing? What's that cost? Just so I can build a plan and get my average build price I'm trying to work with.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENSIERRA
defanitly do the trunion upgrade.
being someone that has been down this path I will tell you it wont be cheap to make a lifted truck quick.
if you care about 0-80 then gears will be your best friend, scrap the 31 spline axle upgrade and just go straight to a SF14b or 14ff diff and put some 5.13 gears in it.
the best thing to do after that would be a supercharger, if you don't have money for that then getting a custom cam from Geoff from EPS or stock48 would be a good idea. I also found a stall to be a great investment but if you do a lot of slow trail riding then you will want to keep the stall a little tamer.
nitrous is also a cheap way to get these heavy trucks rolling faster
Pretty much this exactly...

Gears will be your friend. You didnt say anything about highway driving, but with 35s I would go 5.13 or so. Next step would be nitrous or a blower. Really depends how much you want to spend.

Just to get heads milled is usually pretty cheap at any machine shop, maybe ~$100 for both. The trunion upgrade is a comp kit, I think its around $120 or so. Any performance shop could do it for you, or you could do it yourself with a press/vice. If you go the nitrous route go ahead and mill them, but if you go boost route I would not advice any milling at all. The stock style oil pump really is fine. Valve springs I prefer dual kits because aftermarket springs are less forgiving than factory ones, so if a spring breaks you still have another one to keep it intact. With beehives if one breaks at the least you need the head rebuilt if not a new piston.

Quick Reply: Got a minute to help me out? Please give me advice!