Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen IV 6.0 build ?s and info

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Line honing is just that honing everything to be straight in line.... A good machine shop can hone the cam journal if it needs to be and possibly install and over sized bearing in it
I'm not sure if this is possible without special equipment. The cam journals on my gen IV were different sizes. The middle was the smallest, next two out were slightly bigger, and end bearings were the biggest. I am new to this, but I believe they did this for the installation process. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this.

If worse comes to worse and you need to open that journal up to the size of an outside bearing I think I have a new one in the box, you can have it
Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Where you at??
I'm in Clayton NC

I have a machine shop that i use through work and my personal stuff, that is maybe 20 minutes from the house and theyll come pick up and deliver from my job
I've been told about a few local but one that seems to be popular looks like a bomb went off in it and is very unorganized. Another was recommended by Rick Crawford (Rick Crawford Racing) but still 2 hours away.

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I'm not sure if this is possible without special equipment. The cam journals on my gen IV were different sizes. The middle was the smallest, next two out were slightly bigger, and end bearings were the biggest. I am new to this, but I believe they did this for the installation process. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this.

If worse comes to worse and you need to open that journal up to the size of an outside bearing I think I have a new one in the box, you can have it
That is good to know, thanks for the info.
Thank you for the offer as well, I appreciate it and will keep you in mind.
I'm hoping to be able to get some time off within the next couple of weeks to make the trip to the shop.

I've been trolling the net looking for parts. I think I'm a little anxious hah.
Should I wait until I visit the shop to get his opinion before buying anything?
I like the 6.2 idea with LS3 parts.

Thanks again guys
Old 11-08-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the best machine shops honestly look like a bomb went off but the guy running it could walk over and pick up exactly what it is he or you are looking for the first time.... Hell the head shop in va beach you have to step over stuff to get to the fromt counter but they do awesome work!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

As far as cam journal sizes the smallest shoukd be the rearmost jurnal with the largest being the first one..... Kinda makes a cam impossible to install if the rear most bearing land is larger than any of the others......
Old 11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

I think the best machine shops honestly look like a bomb went off but the guy running it could walk over and pick up exactly what it is he or you are looking for the first time.... Hell the head shop in va beach you have to step over stuff to get to the fromt counter but they do awesome work!!!
I completely agree, unfortunately he does not get the greatest reviews. Not online reviews either. I'd go to him for certain things but not my engine.

As far as cam journal sizes the smallest shoukd be the rearmost jurnal with the largest being the first one..... Kinda makes a cam impossible to install if the rear most bearing land is larger than any of the others......
I'm new to all this, learning as I go.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im not a machinist, but as far as i know the cam gets smaller from front to rear at least as far as the bearing lands go, however the way the back of the block is open on the ls engines it may be possible the outer diameter could be same front and rear, never paid that mych attention to it, havent oersonally had to deal witha spun cam bearing yet....
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
Ok, well. I ran my fingers around every journal and didn't feel any scores, grooves or wear patterns. I'm feeling a little better about this block now.

Is there a way to line hone them other than the traditional way?

Thanks for the info and help, I appreciate it.
Line honing is just that honing everything to be straight in line.... A good machine shop can hone the cam journal if it needs to be and possibly install and over sized bearing in it
This service can not be done on LS block's since they don't use a similar sized cam bearings.

The only way would be to line bore, How ever there is no Repair bearings available to do this.

If the journals are still good, you can clean them and install new bearings. As long as they go in tight you should be fine. Some shops will use a slip fit adhesive when doing this for added insurance. It's usually best to let someone with experience do this. Its usually around $25 for cam bearing set and approx $50 in labor. My engine shop usually keeps a cam core in stock to use to insure the cam spins freely after the new bearings are installed. If they are working on something special they will usually request you bring the cam in to insure it fits and spins properly after they install the new bearings.

In My case, I gave them a good used cam core to work with for the LS engines.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

And there you have it
Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
This service can not be done on LS block's since they don't use a similar sized cam bearings.

The only way would be to line bore, How ever there is no Repair bearings available to do this.

If the journals are still good, you can clean them and install new bearings. As long as they go in tight you should be fine. Some shops will use a slip fit adhesive when doing this for added insurance. It's usually best to let someone with experience do this. Its usually around $25 for cam bearing set and approx $50 in labor. My engine shop usually keeps a cam core in stock to use to insure the cam spins freely after the new bearings are installed. If they are working on something special they will usually request you bring the cam in to insure it fits and spins properly after they install the new bearings.

In My case, I gave them a good used cam core to work with for the LS engines.

Well, now I'm not feeling so good about this now, haha.

I by no means have any experience with and am learning as I go. I will most definitely leave this work up to the machinist.
Unfortunately, the only cam I have is the one that came out of the motor. Will that work?
I'm going to call him during the week and discuss this with him.

Thanks again 1Fast, I appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

If hes worth his salt he will have a cam to use for checking vlearances etc

Quick Reply: Gen IV 6.0 build ?s and info