Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III DBW Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:39 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
So us 99-02 guys with DBW are screwed when it comes to wanting a 90mm TB? Since it doenst open 100%.
As I said, you can get an aftermarket TB that uses the same motor and sensors as your stock TB. For example: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-body-467765/
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vannatta20
Ive been through this. Get a 00-02 tac module and pedal. The Tac is all plastic. The newer gen 3 has a metal back to it but does not work without an expensive adapter. The 00-02 will drive a 90mm GTO TB with no adapter. I wired up my own harness I can help with the pinouts. Its easy. A TBSS TB might work as well but I have not tested.
Heres my thread about it.
2000-03 Truck DBW to LS2 DBW how to. - LS1TECH
Thanks for the reply dude. I saw in your thread that you used the NNBS truck intake but didn't see where you said which throttle body you were running... In the picture it looks like you're running a silver blade LS2 throttle body like DrX recommended?

Originally Posted by Richardman1992
I thought all 99-02 trucks were DBC?
DBC were way more common but DBW was an option on the earlier trucks too.

Originally Posted by DrX
The 03+ PCMs have 1MB flash memory while the earlier PCMs are 512K flash.

01-02 with traction control were DBW.

Each TAC module is designed and programmed to work with a specific throttle body sensor configuration and range and drive motor.

The early DBW TP sensor signals moved in opposite directions using 2 completely separate circuits. Then they went to the signals moving in the same direction with completely separate circuits. With the 87/90mm TBs the signals again move in opposite directions, but share common 5V and 0V circuits.

All of the TBs have different sensor output ranges. The ranges for the LS2 silver blade 90mm decently match those of the early DBW TB so it will work with the 2001-2002 TAC module. The silver blade LS2 TBs are pretty expensive though, if you can find one. You may notice that the blade does not open 100% due to the different sensor range, and the TB may have a high-pitch whine.

2002 TAC module with LS2 TB Vid
Thanks DrX that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

So it sounds like if I want to use the older style setup (01-02 w/all plastic TAC) then I can use my 0411 PCM but am limited to using the stock 78mm throttle body or a silver bladed LS2 throttle body. Those LS2 TB's are super expensive in the classifieds and eBay but car-parts.com shows a few listed as cheap as $235 but come with their own set of issues. I don't think the TB only opening 90% would affect me too much for my application but that high pitched whine would drive me crazy lol.

If I want to use the newer style setup (03-06 w/plastic and metal TAC) then I can use the TBSS throttle body that I already have but would need to pick up a green/blue PCM and an x-link but it'd work like factory. Sound about right?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:16 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
Sound about right?
Correct. This vid is ancient, but it demos an early version X-Link(1.0) with the LS2 90mm TB(there were no gold blade TBs back then). The current units are optimized for the gold blade TBs as that is what most people are using now.

Video
Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i run the 2002 tac module with a C5 throttle body in my 05 sierra
Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrX
Correct. This vid is ancient, but it demos an early version X-Link(1.0) with the LS2 90mm TB(there were no gold blade TBs back then). The current units are optimized for the gold blade TBs as that is what most people are using now.

Video
Thanks again for helping out and sharing all that info DrX

Originally Posted by terravast4
i run the 2002 tac module with a C5 throttle body in my 05 sierra
Aren't the C5 throttle bodies the same size (78mm) as the Gen III trucks though?

I did find one more option another member on here figured out that I might wind up trying. It looks like he was able to remove the existing TB harness connectors and rewire everything in to the newer style plug and after a re-tune it worked good as new. It'll be a while before I'm able to try it out for myself but here's his quote from that older thread in case anyone is interested:

Originally Posted by PitchblackC3
My 2001 C3 has the same DBW setup as your 2002 Tahoe (your Tahoe is probably optioned with traction control). You do have a TAC module, it just is different than the 03+ one.

I am running a 87mm NNBS throttle body on a TBSS intake on mine. I didn't use an adapter, I just wired the new plug directly in place of the 2 it did have. I am not using a x-link, I just retuned the PCM and it works great.

IIRC the old 2 plug set up had 2 wires for 5 v reference and 2 for low reference while the new one only has 1 of each, so you end up with 2 extra wires that won't be in the new plug. Everything else matched up perfectly.
If worse comes to worse I'll just pick up an x-link from DrX and call it good. I'd just rather find a way to make things work with what I already have instead of having to buy an x-link and blue/green pcm on top of the $6-700 aftermarket harness lol.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

i guess mine is a LS3 its a 90mm throttle body
Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by terravast4
i guess mine is a LS3 its a 90mm throttle body
Do you remember if it had a gold blade or a silver one? If you used a gold blade one I think they operate the same as the truck throttle body I have... What did you use or do to hook it up?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Do you remember if it had a gold blade or a silver one? If you used a gold blade one I think they operate the same as the truck throttle body I have... What did you use or do to hook it up?
My LS3 tb is a gold blade....
Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe it was a silver blade. My x-link died so i switched to the 2002 tac module