Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III DBW Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen III DBW Differences?

Like the title says, what are the differences between the 01-02 and 03-06 DBW setups for the Gen III truck motors? Haven't had any luck with any of the forums or good ol' Google so I'm hoping someone here can help me out...

I have a DBC 5.3 that I’m going to be swapping in to a K5 Blazer and was thinking about converting it to DBW since I’ll be doing a cam swap along with a set of milled 243 heads and a TBSS intake. The intake I picked up came with the DBW throttle body and I can get a new harness made for either setup for a little more than buying a NW TB by itself. The only issue I’m seeing is adapting the newer Gen IV 6 pin TB to the older Gen III 8 pin TB. I know Speartech sells an adapter harness for only $60 but they only list the 01-02 trucks as being compatible and I’ve also seen the X-Link that goes for $235 but they only list the 03-06 trucks as being compatible. I’ve also talked to BP Automotive who will most likely be making my harness and they said they can build in an adapter but only for the 01-02 setups with the all plastic TAC module which leads to my question, what are the differences between the two? Is one better for some reason or just easier to wire and program? I’ve tried looking up the pinouts and wiring diagrams and it looks like they’re the same for all the 01-06 trucks so I’m guessing there’s something different in the TAC module itself?

I already picked up a pedal, harness, and TAC module from each version since the pull-a-part yard didn’t know what they had and sold them to me for $10/setup. One is from an 01 Suburban with the all plastic TAC module and the other is from an 03 Tahoe with the metal and plastic TAC module. Just wondering which would be the better choice so I can sell the other and put that money back in the build budget. What do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:34 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the older TAC module you will need to use a LS2 silver blade 90mm TB or one of the early aftermarket 102 TBs that used the LS1 TB motor that was OE with that TAC module. With the LS2 TB the throttle blade may not open 100%. What PCM?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. My throttle body is a gold blade truck version from the TBSS but I could find a silver blade LS2 version if I needed to. Just hate to have to buy another one if mine can be made to work...

I have a 411 PCM with the red/blue connectors from a Silverado right now but can source a different one easy enough if needed. I might still be able to get the same PCM from the 03 Tahoe that I got the newer DBW setup from if I really needed to...

Do you know what the difference between the TAC modules is that they only work with certain throttle bodies?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many many people have been down this route. Just buy the X link from DrX. Great guy, great product, and if you ever have an issue he will be right here to respond to any questions you have. I thought I had an issue, but learned it was my tune. He was still here very helpful. Excellent customer service and your throttle body will open up all the way as opposed to other methods out there.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Many many people have been down this route. Just buy the X link from DrX. Great guy, great product, and if you ever have an issue he will be right here to respond to any questions you have. I thought I had an issue, but learned it was my tune. He was still here very helpful. Excellent customer service and your throttle body will open up all the way as opposed to other methods out there.
Actually nobody has been down this road that I've been able to find. I'm not trying to figure out how to make the newer intake work on an existing DBW truck like most people on here have done, I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between the different DBW setups and which is better and why since I already have one of each style. There are different adapters for the two different style DBW setups but so far I haven't been able to find out why.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have a custom harness made with an adapter built in but without knowing what the differences are and which one I should use I'm on hold. I'm not opposed to buying a good product from a good guy like Dr X but I like knowing how stuff works and why I should go with one versus the other.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been through this. Get a 00-02 tac module and pedal. The Tac is all plastic. The newer gen 3 has a metal back to it but does not work without an expensive adapter. The 00-02 will drive a 90mm GTO TB with no adapter. I wired up my own harness I can help with the pinouts. Its easy. A TBSS TB might work as well but I have not tested.
Heres my thread about it.
2000-03 Truck DBW to LS2 DBW how to. - LS1TECH
Old 04-19-2015, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TAC modules are different internally with different resistance needed to operate. Heres the info on that
Drive by wire Corvette and Truck Throttle Body
Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought all 99-02 trucks were DBC?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 03+ PCMs have 1MB flash memory while the earlier PCMs are 512K flash.

01-02 with traction control were DBW.

Each TAC module is designed and programmed to work with a specific throttle body sensor configuration and range and drive motor.

The early DBW TP sensor signals moved in opposite directions using 2 completely separate circuits. Then they went to the signals moving in the same direction with completely separate circuits. With the 87/90mm TBs the signals again move in opposite directions, but share common 5V and 0V circuits.

All of the TBs have different sensor output ranges. The ranges for the LS2 silver blade 90mm decently match those of the early DBW TB so it will work with the 2001-2002 TAC module. The silver blade LS2 TBs are pretty expensive though, if you can find one. You may notice that the blade does not open 100% due to the different sensor range, and the TB may have a high-pitch whine.

2002 TAC module with LS2 TB Vid

Last edited by DrX; 04-19-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So us 99-02 guys with DBW are screwed when it comes to wanting a 90mm TB? Since it doenst open 100%.

Quick Reply: Gen III DBW Differences?