Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Gen III block in 09 Silverado ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen III block in 09 Silverado ?

Ok, I've searched here, google, other forums, and all I've found is random pieces of info and half answers. If I missed a thread that answers everything my apologies. Here we go:

I have a 09 Silverado 5.3 with the AFM. Obviously I want to delete of the AFM, but I can't really have my truck down too long since its my DD. I decided best bet would be to swap engines. I have found alot of Gen III 5.3 engines cheap around here. I have seen some threads were people with 4.3s have done swaps from one gen to the next to get a V8, and was wondering if it would be possible to go from my Gen IV 5.3 to a Gen III 5.3. If I understand it right I can still use 243 heads and the factory intake off my truck if I wanted to or am I missing something here? What I have discovered along the way of researching is that the knock sensors position/wires are different as well as the placement of the cam position sensor. Is this something I can fix or not?

I'm really trying to find out if someone has done this yet or not, haven't found any concrete info. My reasons for doing it is it would be cheaper and the downtime on ym truck should be alot shorter. Again, if I missed someone already covering this, my bad. If this won't work then I may have to either bite the bullet and figure out a back up vehicle for the AFM delete process or look at other engine swaps. Just trying to learn about what I have.

-Eric
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SDPC has a kit that comes with timing cover and wiring to do the swap.

If you are just trying to delete dod/afm, you are going the round about way of doing it. It should be an easy weekend swap and you can gather all the tools and parts before you begin. It's a basic cam swap but you have to remove the heads to swap lifters.

If you are dead set on doing an engine swap, find a gen IV 5.3 or 6.0 and swap that in then sell your motor when complete and you should recoup most of your money.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about just using another Gen IV 5.3, and may go that route in the end, just wanting to make sure I've looked at all options. The whole Gen III engine is the same cost as a Afm delete kit, but if I have to purchase wire kits then that may defeat the purpose. I may just have to look harder for a cheaper 5.3 for my truck and do the Afm delete.

-Eric
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my Gen III to Gen IV and it was a pain in the *** lol goodluck on what you decide!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

i put a 06 lq4 in a 2008 gmc rcsb.

you need to do the following:

ls2 timing cover w/ sensor
crank reluctor swap to 58x (or use your gen iv crank)
tap block on sides for knock sensors
swap cam reluctor to a 4x lobe

and that's it i believe. it's not much to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks. OK, so it is possible, cool. Did you have any tuning issues or did the ECM accept everything with just minor hiccups?

-Eric
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

just got my tuner to remove all that afm/dod/vvt crap from the ecm since at first it would only run on 4 cylinders but once all that was removed it fired up fine. used a regular e38 ecm and t42 tcm for the 80e. no issues whatsoever
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Awesome, cool. So in theory, I shouldn't have any serious issues going to a Gen III 5.3 as long as I don't get stupid wild with the heads and cam. I know it sounds round about and pointless, its just I can ****** a Gen III complete engine for half the cost of a Gen IV, and once you factor in all the parts the real difference is in the initial purchase, so we will see. Still haven't decided. Thanks for the info.

-Eric
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

If at all possible I'd personally prefer to find another gen IV. You can always sell the one in your truck to recoupe cost. What are your plans for the motor?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

I may or may not sell my factory engine in the off chance my build has issues post install, so this will be a budget build. Starting with a 5.3 block, I'm looking at a mild cam, ported stock heads, new rockers, LS6 intake, and of course long tubes with a really good tune. If funds will permit, possible boring to 5.7 and swapping pistons.

My goals are for a truck that would be fairly quick with a new set of gears and still able to tow a light car a few times a year. Like I said, its about the initial cost of the block, after that all the parts start having a similar price. I'm still not completely sure which route I want to go as far as which gen to use, but I'm still looking into it. Still trying to figure out what I can and can't do.

-Eric

Quick Reply: Gen III block in 09 Silverado ?