Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Front wheel hub removal tool or socket size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel hub removal tool or socket size?

Hey guys, after taking the calipers and rotor off and removing the three bolts behind the hub, I hadn't though about removing the large center piece bolt that holds the wheel hub to the shaft. Unfortunately, the bolt is too large for any socket pieces I have. Assuming this is a crazy bolt to take off, is there a special tool for this? If not, what socket/wrench size do I need to take this puppy off? Sockets this size is expensive and don't want to keep guessing at it till I've spent, 100$, lol. I'm guessing between 30-32 mm

Last edited by SUPERCHARGE; 08-14-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I think it's going to be easiest to loosen/remove the hub nut your talking about, with the brakes still in place. It should be the first nut you remove in the process of taking off the hub assembly. Was looking to find out exactly what size socket you need for this, but nothing yet. I do know that the process is going to be best done by putting it all back together, first...until you get that nut off. I'll see what I can find about an exact socket size for you...
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

its a 32 parts store should have one prolly 20 bucks
Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeflash05
its a 32 parts store should have one prolly 20 bucks
Yeah, I'm figuring I'll have to at least put the disc and tire back on (not the caliper or shoes), lower the truck and loosen it while the trucks on the ground and jack her back up, remove everything again. I tried searching myself and didn't find much.

Some guy told me on a forum it was a 33mm, but I hardly believe that considering the odd size and the fact that stores only seem to carry the even numbers (30-32-34). If it is 32 (whcih sdeems to make more sense), I know some places that do carry it for approx 15, but they don't have the ability to tell me if it's right for my truck. Are you pretty sure it's 32?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Yeah, I'm figuring I'll have to at least put the disc and tire back on (not the caliper or shoes), lower the truck and loosen it while the trucks on the ground and jack her back up, remove everything again. I tried searching myself and didn't find much.

Some guy told me on a forum it was a 33mm, but I hardly believe that considering the odd size and the fact that stores only seem to carry the even numbers (30-32-34). If it is 32 (whcih sdeems to make more sense), I know some places that do carry it for approx 15, but they don't have the ability to tell me if it's right for my truck. Are you pretty sure it's 32?
I suppose that is an option as well. I say re-installing the calipers, too, because that would save you having to go as far as putting the tire back on, setting it back on the ground...and so-forth. You could have someone press on the brake pedal to hold the rotor from turning, or a device to hold the pedal in while you broke loose the hub nuts. Either way will certainly get the job done. And yeah, just found out that the socket size is 32mm as well.

BTW, what was your purpose for removing the hub assy? I'm have issues with my driver side right now...making "interesting noises"...lol. Was just curious...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

yeah im sure i've done alot of hubs.. you dont have air tools if not your going to need a big brake over bar
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok, cool stuff, thanks guys.

And the reason I'm removing it is because of I'm getting a grinding noise in the front of the truck. It sounds like gear grinding to me. When I turn hard left, the noise stops as all the pressure is being distributed to the good axle, while when I turn hard right all the weight is distributed to the left side (where the bad bearing is) and the noise continues, possibly worse. With these descriptions I was told it was my driver's side bearing. So I took everyone's word for it.

I'm really hoping it is the bearing and nothing else wrong like the CV joint or something to do with the from differential/left axle.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the part stores up there have a " loan a tool" program? Most of the axle nut sockets can be rented
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

borrowed from silverado ss . com, mr.p's write up on lowering an ss with spindles, which is the same for 4x4.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...howtopic=19941

torque specs are listed here also
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...04&mode=linear

Last edited by 006rcsb; 08-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andrew383
do the part stores up there have a " loan a tool" program? Most of the axle nut sockets can be rented
Sure they do, but the cost/time it takes to jsut go there to return it isn't worth the 5-8$ you're saving. lol.

Quick Reply: Front wheel hub removal tool or socket size?