Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LOBO2
One of the best threads ever!
lol IDK about that, but thanks! I'm just doing my best to have fun and enjoy this addiction of ours.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by AGearHead4Life
Cool! Sounds interesting! I'm curious to see this build you've got coming together.

Yesssir! They found my truck and many others at a meth head scrap yard, 3.5 years after it was stolen. The body was gone, but I got the power train back. I sold off most of the parts already since I dont need them, but I kept the engine to possibly put into my wife's Tahoe. It's a 5.3 that I worked the heads on. I did a .030" mill, 2" LS1 intake vavles, home ported and PAC1218 springs.

For my current truck though, I just picked up a BTR stage 4 cam.. I got an itch to hear the cam that I finally gave into. The 220r has done well, but I had to feed the itch and move on from the "Sleeper" cam.
Well at least you got some of it back...

As far as the engine build, Its basically going to be like an L33 but with a Gen 4 block and some new small bore heads that are coming to the LS market. It's almost like an all out 5.3L build. I have a few more parts to acquire. It's definitely not budget style, but should still be a neat build showing what a 5.3L is capable of.

We are going to be doing a full build thread with details and dyno results.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Well at least you got some of it back...

As far as the engine build, Its basically going to be like an L33 but with a Gen 4 block and some new small bore heads that are coming to the LS market. It's almost like an all out 5.3L build. I have a few more parts to acquire. It's definitely not budget style, but should still be a neat build showing what a 5.3L is capable of.

We are going to be doing a full build thread with details and dyno results.
Yea, I was mainly happy to just get closure on the truck.

That sounds like my kind of build man. It's been on my list for a while to build an all out 5.3. I'll likely go a budget route again, but do all that I can to it. Squeeze as much compression as I can into it, etc. Good luck on the build man. I'm interested in seeing it. Too bad you can't tag me in the build thread like on social media. lol Do you have a link?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Yea, I was mainly happy to just get closure on the truck.

That sounds like my kind of build man. It's been on my list for a while to build an all out 5.3. I'll likely go a budget route again, but do all that I can to it. Squeeze as much compression as I can into it, etc. Good luck on the build man. I'm interested in seeing it. Too bad you can't tag me in the build thread like on social media. lol Do you have a link?
No thread yet, But I will let you know. At one point they were trying to make the site work the same way. Tagging people by hash tagging there username. Not sure if they fixed the bugs though.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, things on this project made a drastic change recently. I'll have to post up pics and videos later.

I decided to slip in a BTR Truck Stage 4 Cam. During that process I accidentally dropped a lifter. Since I had the heads off, I went ahead and milled them down .045". That and the 4.8 pistons make for some fun compression. ~11.4:1 is what I've roughly come up with.

Working on the exhaust and tune now. I'll update more later on.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice tats bud....Semper Fi
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
nice tats bud....Semper Fi
Semper Fi Brotha!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Well, things on this project made a drastic change recently. I'll have to post up pics and videos later.

I decided to slip in a BTR Truck Stage 4 Cam. During that process I accidentally dropped a lifter. Since I had the heads off, I went ahead and milled them down .045". That and the 4.8 pistons make for some fun compression. ~11.4:1 is what I've roughly come up with.

Working on the exhaust and tune now. I'll update more later on.
You Bastard!!! I am jealous for sure now...

If I am correct that would take you from, 61 cc to 53.5 cc. They say it's about .006 for every CC on these heads.

For a rough measurement Your basically spot on for not having the true deck height or the true final CC of the combustion chamber.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I bet it sounds awesome with that cam and that much conpression. I have an extra 5.3 that I plan on doing a very similar budget build on for my 99, I even have the 4l80e and 3.42 gears. But I want more gear.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You Bastard!!! I am jealous for sure now...

If I am correct that would take you from, 61 cc to 53.5 cc. They say it's about .006 for every CC on these heads.

For a rough measurement Your basically spot on for not having the true deck height or the true final CC of the combustion chamber.
Dude, I'm stoked. Been driving it around but the exhaust isn't done yet and its too loud to do too much. I'll hopefully get that done next week. Cant wait!

Quick Reply: Flat Top 4.8 Pistons into my 5.3 HOW TO Video Here