Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

fixing collector exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen.. I have had the v-band clamps and they could not hold due to the torque. I spoke to my local guy and he installed the ball and clamp application and not a leak since. Yes, some/more may be different, but I'd like to share my experience and save you the frustration.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
Gentlemen.. I have had the v-band clamps and they could not hold due to the torque. I spoke to my local guy and he installed the ball and clamp application and not a leak since. Yes, some/more may be different, but I'd like to share my experience and save you the frustration.
That is weird, maybe you just got a bad set or something... V-bands are what all the turbo guys use and they hold... Also we use V-bands on the jet engines for aircraft we build at my work... I am not doubting you by any means, it just sounds wierd... I remember reading the thread that you posted when all that happened...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the flowmaster ball and socket ones with some rtv for insurance and haven't had a problem since they were put on more then a year ago, i tried the ones that came with it, didn't work, tried stronger/ wider clamps, didn't work. tried the 3 bolt ones, didn't work. but these are good, they are similar to high pressure fittings on drilling rig mud systems
like these, mine are 3in to 3in
ball and flange
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of torque are you making for them to not hold? are you speaking of your motor torquing to one side when it revs up? maybe you rmotor mounts need some attention or your pipes need new mounting spots, i dont know of anyone who had an issue with them.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't used any V-band clamps on the exhaust yet, but I can vouch for the ball and socket clamps. I used them on an old project and they worked great. They give the pipes some flexibility to get situated. They never leaked made installation and removal easy.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
what kind of torque are you making for them to not hold? are you speaking of your motor torquing to one side when it revs up? maybe you rmotor mounts need some attention or your pipes need new mounting spots, i dont know of anyone who had an issue with them.
The mounts were checked and were fine. That was at the beginning of '08 and we've since been to the track, added more mods, and dynoed as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

They must've been set up wrong, because you have alot less air running through there then the FI guys.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Default New product pending production

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I got flanges welded onto my pacesetters awhile ago, and they used shitty gaskets that leaked, so i took em out and put in the thicker alluminum ones. Now I cant get them to seal right and they leak bad. BlackGMC suggested knife edging them and some other stuff. I still dont get exactly what I need to do to them, but is there anything I can put on them to help it seal, like some high heat RTV or anything like that? How can I make these leaks going away, its killing me when I have my cutout closed.
B sure flange r flat. Use grinder or torch and fan flat. Must b flat. I can up with this when mine leaked.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JYhsl0Pq4
No leak flange bracket. I can't wait till its in the market.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Talk about waking the dead, haha.
This thread is over 8 years old
Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Default New yr, old problems

Originally Posted by Tig
Talk about waking the dead, haha.
This thread is over 8 years old