Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First VVT build with a few simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I'd be concerned if a tuner said said to go a different route or do something just because they've done a tune on it before. Using a tuning software is just a tool, any tuner worth a salt can figure it out even if you are using a different cam that they have seen before.

It's all going to be the same as far as the tuning process goes, you still have to data log and manually make adjustments for the given mods. I dislike tuners like blackbear because if it's not an in person tune they just plop some random maybe close enough tune in the computer and wait for you to data and hopefully get it better. The waiting game really gets old and from the stuff I seen before I won't run a tune from him.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Look at the gpi cams too, as ffdp said a good tuner can tune any cam/mod combination, if someone is recommending a certain cam they probably have experience with it, or a tune on file they can pull up abd send you that will be close enough to work.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am tied into black bear tunes. And honestly, despite the wait between enails, Justine and Jenna have been above anboyond just a standard tune. They helped me solve a few problems the dealers wouldn't even try to help with. So should I get the 402 based on their reputation and past experiance with them or go for the tsp or a custom geoff esp cam based on Internet Data that says it's better? I know nothing about cams except big engines like big flow. And more lift means more flow
Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Tsp does include phaser tables with their cams. Not sure if others do
Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would like to see a set of their phaser tables... if your experience with blackbear is good then by all means stay with them! Just dont see the comp 402 having enough lift to feed a 6.2 much less a stroker... 4.8 or 5.3 maybebut its not that much of a bump over the stock 6.2 cam.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking into VVT cams for my L9H and came up with the same ones you did until I read about the GPI SS1 VVT cam. Everything I've read about it has convinced me that it's the way to go.

SS1 VVT Camshaft

Dyno sheet:
SS1 VVT Cam Motion Results - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I actually went with their vvt2 truck cam..
Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 PM

The btr stage 2 cam? In a camaro?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I havent cammed the camaro yet, cant leave the damn trucks alone long enough, the btr stage 2 ls3 cam is in my 99 silverado...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 PM

I ended up getting a custom EPS cam from geoff directly. Between TSP, BTR, and especially comp cams, geoff went above and beyond the call of duty. He talked with me, explained to me, and knew the perfect cam right off the top of his head for my exact situation. I honestly think he eats, sleeps and dreams cams. And he worked with me as a total noob the entire time. Even taking time from his personal life after work hours. I wish I could work with him side by side a few days just to learn a portion of what he has learned thru his experiance. And the price for a custom cam is just pennies more than and off the shelf cam. For anyone following this, do yourself a favor and call EPS. I have been looking for a good cam over a month and this was my last choice but obviously the best choice. Also, read up on the EPS lobes. They are number 1 without question. Thank everyone on this forum for helping me find them.