Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions

I recently bought a 2006 Silverado 1500 2WD with a 4.8 in it and i'm looking to convert this baby into a pre-runner. I'm trying to drop some money into it but I have a few questions. I'm mechanically inclined and if I can't do it I have some friends who could help me.

Would you drop a rebuilt 6.0 into it or an LS engine? First I want to get the engine and trans then I'll go for the long travel kit I just want a few opinions first. I want power but I don't want too complicated of a swap (pull out and put in is ideal for me) I'm not turning this thing into a race truck but I want it to be a blast to drive and fast. All opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've done a ton of reading on this forum and I know you all know what you're talking about so I would really appreciate your guys opinions. Once I get some answers and get started I will start a build thread. Can't wait to hear from some of you guys.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Both 4.8 and 6.0's are LS motors, the 6.0 would preform better than the 4.8 because it has more horsepower and torque right off the bat. If you want to keep it simple, just find a used motor and slap it right back in there. Tune the computer for the changes made and carry on. Gear the truck to suit your needs and it should be good.

I'd run a 4L80e transmission too, the 4L60e is weak and not worth it to keep in my eyes.
The following users liked this post:
cnqrthedirt (03-05-2017)