Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Drone Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Just got my 22" Magnaflow muffler in the mail yesterday, putting that on this weekend, then if there is still the drone, doing the branch resonator. I'll post up the results. Thanks for all of the info TS77!
Put the muffler on and it's really quiet now, which is what I was going for... but I still have the drone from about 2200 to 2500rpm.

Since it's so quiet, I'm thinking about cutting off the proper length of tailpipe and dumping it over the axle to fix the problem, but I'm afraid that could be too loud. What are yall's thoughts? Should I just go with the branch resonator? Should be about $100 according to a local shop's estimate.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you could try to cut the length off and make sure its a clean cut so you could weld it back up if it makes it too loud for your tastes. If that doesnt work then you could try the branch resonator. I think we spent 23 bucks at home depot haha. But having a muffler shop do it, it will be clean and done right. Also if the branch resonator doesnt work, you could always cut it out.

Personally I like the look of dumping it under the truck somewhere. Its clean and hidden. And in your case, since you arent gonna do it youself, $100 is kind of a lot for me considering you probably bought the muffler for a littler over a hundred.

TX Tahoe, have you played around with that length calculator to see how much you would have to cut off? And what RPM were you moving the drone range to?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I think I will try the dumping approach, then weld it back up if it doesn't do the trick. But as far as moving the drone range, I would like it to be as high as possible so I don't run across it during normal driving. I need to measure the length of tailpipe I have after the muffler first. Will the branch resonator do a much better job than cutting the tailpipe?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

To tell you the truth, I really dont know. Theoretically it makes sense. The drone range is pretty much a spike in the sound pressure level (loudness) of the exhaust note so moving it out of the normal driving RPM's isnt eliminating it, it just moves it to an RPM that you dont sit at while say driving down the freeway. Where the branch resonator levels out the spike and get rid of the drone spot.

Shortening it is cheaper. If it doesnt work, then you can simply weld it back up and try the resonator. Im still curious what setup Skyhighsami is running.

When you are measuring the length you have after the muffler, try using some string. It bends around curves more easily than a measuring tape and you can get the true length because you can run it along the centerline of the pipe. Then just measure the string after you marked on the string the length the pipe is. Just a thought.

Using that calculator, to move from your current drone at 2350 RPM to 3000, you would only have to remove 0.76 feet. And to move it to 4000 RPM you have to remove 1.448 feet. Just play with it and see how those lengths would look if you cut that much off and dumped it.

All this is just food for thought TX Tahoe. Sorry if im boring you haha
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a gibson super truck setup. it has two 2" pipes coming out. what would be the cheapest way to pipe a resonator setup?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

TS77, no boredom here, that's good info. I will take a look under my truck and see where a good place to cut it would be and make sure it's far enough back. Won't be able to do it until weekend after this as I am out of town, but I will post up when I have a chance to look at it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good TX Tahoe. Just let me know what goes down.

Originally Posted by nick993
i have a gibson super truck setup. it has two 2" pipes coming out. what would be the cheapest way to pipe a resonator setup?
Cheapest way would be to 90 degree some 2" pipe closed off at the ends into the existing two pipes. Just get a 2" hole saw and then bevel the pipes you are adding then weld it up. If you dont have enough room, to go straight 90 degrees out, then you will have to do it like I showed in the pictures where its curved. For information on the length required and such, all the info is in the previous few pages. Me and my friend found some really nice 2 inch 90 degree bends at Home Depot and it was only $6 i think. That worked really well. Check out the pictures on the second or third page.

Oh ya and since you have dual exhaust, you would have to do it on both sides, after the mufflers.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I cut 1.5 feet of the tailpipe off today, right behind the last hanger. The drone moved up in the RPM band only slightly though, it now occurs at 2500RPM instead of 2300 previously. I was expecting a much more drastic effect. I think I am just going to live with it for now.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Thats disappointing :/ I guess we know that method doesnt work very well. Thanks for the report TX Tahoe.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
High on diesel fumes

Bringing this one back...has anyone else tried this? I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone Fix