Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Drone Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is mainly for drone but I wonder how well this would work for eliminating rasp, if at all? Mine doesn't really drone but rasps so bad at 2300-2800 that it will make you cringe and old people run and duck for cover.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TS77
I need to know what RPM the drone is worst in your truck. Also what size engine do you have on it? Maybe take it out for a short drive and get on the freeway or up a slight hill and really try to find the exact RPM. Then I can give you a length that would be good to shoot for.

If you do make it, are you going to try to make it adjustable like the design i drew up? It might be helpful to be able to fine tune it. Every truck is a little different.

Just curious, you have single or dual exhaust?

By the way, thats exactly how my friend's sounds. The same at WOT and idle, but the drone is gone
It is really bad between 2k to 2500, I have a 6.0 in a crew cab 1500 HD with a dual inlet single out Magnaflow muffler. So I would need only one chanmber behind the muffler. I don't think I would make it adjustable because of the chances of it leaking
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
no title here

I went to my muffler shop today and they built an exhaust for a VW as a prototype for APR a local VW and Audi tuning company. Anyway, Corsa sent a muffler and a resonator for them to try and see what fits on the VW. They ended up having a resonator left over and given it's size and shape it wouldn't fit many vehicles. Expect it was perfect behind the muffler right before it goes over the rear axle. I will try and get some pictures. Now I have 0 drone and it is so much quieter. I am very happy
Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I went to my muffler shop today and they built an exhaust for a VW as a prototype for APR a local VW and Audi tuning company. Anyway, Corsa sent a muffler and a resonator for them to try and see what fits on the VW. They ended up having a resonator left over and given it's size and shape it wouldn't fit many vehicles. Expect it was perfect behind the muffler right before it goes over the rear axle. I will try and get some pictures. Now I have 0 drone and it is so much quieter. I am very happy
I would really like to see this. That's exactly where I have the resonance on my truck with the 4" Dmax exhaust and 30" magnaflow diesel muffler. Would love to kill the drone from 2100-2500.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Ya Im curious, I would like to see pics. I cant quite picture what you are talking about though. I tried looking on their website and couldnt find anything relating to what you are explaining.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

I was playing around and graphed the equations for the exhaust.

The frequency note of an engine = ( RPM's ) x ( number of cylinders ) / 120

Which looks like this: This graph shows the frequency note that the exhaust produces as RPM increases.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  28.7 KB

Then using that equation, set it equal to the frequency produced by the branch resonator.

You have to use a calculator to find the speed of sound as temperature changes. I used 150 degrees fahrenheit. Here is the link for the calculator

Resonator frequency = ( Speed of sound ) / ( Length of pipe ) / 4

Set them equal and solve for Length. RPM is then your explanatory variable.

Then you get a graph like this. RPM's is on the horizontal and the proper length of pipe for the branch resonator is on the verticle axis.

Name:  download2.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  34.5 KB

So pretty much you find out the RPM where the drone is loudest and use the second graph to find the proper pipe length for a resonator.

To find the exact length, Take 54,491.4 and divide your RPM into it. Say your drone is at 1900 RPM. Take a calculator and type 54,491.4 / 1900 and it will equal 28.679 inches.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Just got my 22" Magnaflow muffler in the mail yesterday, putting that on this weekend, then if there is still the drone, doing the branch resonator. I'll post up the results. Thanks for all of the info TS77!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Sweet, send me one. Haha. You're welcome. I dont think you should have much drone with that muffler. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM
no title here

I have been meaning to get some pictures of what I did but I keep forgetting. I have all next week off, so I will take some pictures of it and the SS rear bumper I have in the garage I need to sell. I have had my setup almost two weeks now. I am VERY happy. It seems that it hurt the bottom end a little bit.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Hmm ya get some pics up next week. Id like to see what you have going on. Sounds interesting. I guess that gives you a reason to add more power haha.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone Fix