Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine blue printing/balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I balance pretty much everything I build... in fact everything. A balanced engine just runs so much better.. eliminating harmonics is never a bad thing. This one engine I am putting together is just a stock bottom end LQ4 for a turbo build. It was one I got screwed over on really as it was nowhere near as good of shape as it should have been. In fact 4 out of the 8 original rods were so out of round you couldn't even fix them with the 2 thou overbore. I had a set of Gen 4 5.3 rods ( this is an LQ4 with floating pins) and when I measured them they were lighter than the originals by a few grams anyways. I could have have put it together and tried it.... but screw that. I had it balanced like anything else and they did their fair share of work on it. It's a stock bottom LQ4 with ARP rod bolts only ( and they don't distort the caps... I tried them... hell the stock bolt torque wise is a lot tighter than the ARP is.... but I didn't measure stretch and I imagine the stockers stretch a lot more too.

Honestly I think balance and setup is all that keeps the one dirt track 355 I built alive... a 2 bolt 1 piece rear seal small block with the stock crank and rods ( ARP hardware) that sees 8000+ rpm all the time on the track.... and is on it's fifth season now.

Balance and setup... keeps them alive! Within reason of course lol.
That's some rpm!
Mine will only be spun to 6500ish but will hopefully make atleast 750rwhp when it's all said and done. It'll be a Sbe lq4 with most likely an S475 cause they're a dirt cheap good turbo.