Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine blue printing/balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine blue printing/balancing

This seems to be one of the few things not talked about on here. So who has had their entire rotating assembly balanced? On a boosted junkyard lq4 would it be worth it to do? Oh and I'm not talking about the "pre balanced" rotating assemblies that are usually way off spec Would it help the stock internals hold up under more power? I know it will help the bearings last longer but does it help overall performance for every application? I would think it would free up some power to have it done correctly.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Would be curious if it would.

Though it seems most people bend the rods or blow up a piston on stock motors before anything haha. I know you can't get around the fact that early LQ4's have weak rods and will bend at a much lower power level than a later LQ4/LQ9.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

It'll be an 05 or 06 engine for that exact reason then whenever I get another one built or that one gives out I'll put some good rods and Pistons in it
Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTexan24
This seems to be one of the few things not talked about on here. So who has had their entire rotating assembly balanced? On a boosted junkyard lq4 would it be worth it to do? Oh and I'm not talking about the "pre balanced" rotating assemblies that are usually way off spec Would it help the stock internals hold up under more power? I know it will help the bearings last longer but does it help overall performance for every application? I would think it would free up some power to have it done correctly.
You are asking the right questions and props to you for not falling into that catagory of guys who think the balanced rotating assemblies are good to go. I can tell you from a ton of experience 99% of them need work to be balanced properly.

Is it worth it? I think it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Most everyone is familiar with the SBE 5.3 mustang that has run 4.60's at over 154 mph in the 1/8 mile. That SBE, while using stock components, was a blue printed and balanced setup. It wasn't just taken from the junkyard and bolted in.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Well that just about sums it up then I'd say it's a must if you wanna put down big numbers. I'm assuming the bottom end was studded as well as the heads on that 5.3?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTexan24
Well that just about sums it up then I'd say it's a must if you wanna put down big numbers. I'm assuming the bottom end was studded as well as the heads on that 5.3?
That combo was run and blown up quite a while ago so I really don't remember fastener specifics. I do know it had ARP rod bolts in it but can't comment on the main fasteners or the head fasteners.

It should be noted though that the motor was run dry (no water) on methanol fuel. While they where pushing boost numbers around 40+ psi, it's survival was largely due to the fact that the car was only run in the 1/8 mile. Most times when you start really hammering on these things, the damage comes in the last half of the track when running a 1/4 mile.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

^ 100% true on that. Amazing how much that last 3-4 seconds hurts the engine.

If you are interested in building an engine that will last any decent amount of time at 6000+rpm or with a lot of power then I would certainly have it balanced. Even if your tuneup is perfect when the crankshaft turns into rubber at high rpm because its not balanced well enough it will destroy bearings in a hurry.

If you are a "well if it blows up ill just put in another one from the junkyard and let it eat!" type of guy then don't bother.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic

If you are interested in building an engine that will last any decent amount of time at 6000+rpm or with a lot of power then I would certainly have it balanced. Even if your tuneup is perfect when the crankshaft turns into rubber at high rpm because its not balanced well enough it will destroy bearings in a hurry.

If you are a "well if it blows up ill just put in another one from the junkyard and let it eat!" type of guy then don't bother.
I agree.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic

Haha I'm definitely not a fan of pulling all the **** off to swap a motor back in. Good info on here though and pretty much confirmed what I was thinking about balancing, etc. just wanted to get yall's opinion on it that have the really fast trucks on here and have actually done it and not the "well shoeless Joe down the road did it" Type of guys lol
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I balance pretty much everything I build... in fact everything. A balanced engine just runs so much better.. eliminating harmonics is never a bad thing. This one engine I am putting together is just a stock bottom end LQ4 for a turbo build. It was one I got screwed over on really as it was nowhere near as good of shape as it should have been. In fact 4 out of the 8 original rods were so out of round you couldn't even fix them with the 2 thou overbore. I had a set of Gen 4 5.3 rods ( this is an LQ4 with floating pins) and when I measured them they were lighter than the originals by a few grams anyways. I could have have put it together and tried it.... but screw that. I had it balanced like anything else and they did their fair share of work on it. It's a stock bottom LQ4 with ARP rod bolts only ( and they don't distort the caps... I tried them... hell the stock bolt torque wise is a lot tighter than the ARP is.... but I didn't measure stretch and I imagine the stockers stretch a lot more too.

Honestly I think balance and setup is all that keeps the one dirt track 355 I built alive... a 2 bolt 1 piece rear seal small block with the stock crank and rods ( ARP hardware) that sees 8000+ rpm all the time on the track.... and is on it's fifth season now.

Balance and setup... keeps them alive! Within reason of course lol.

Quick Reply: Engine blue printing/balancing