Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Those numbers on my engine are pretty close if I didn't have the water pump, etc. With the accessories..its about 40 less than that so...I almost have an honest 500.

I lost low end torque but torque converter makes up for that.

In a ECSB truck, to bring the tires off the ground, you need some serious torque. You would be better off to get some 180cc AFR heads or Vortec heads ported and polished then add a Edelbrock Pro Flo to it....its a dual plan manifold MPFI system...that's what I was deciding between ws the Pro Flo and HSR but I went HSR.
That Pro-Flow system is a bit pricey but if it works it would be worth it. Will My ECM drive it with some heavy tuning or would I need to use their controllers? Seems like it might not be very daily drivable with that set up...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope..your ecm wouldn't drive it..it would have a Standalong ECM which would control the engine....comes with the kit.

Its got more of the low end power that you are after. Besides, after you look at it...you will spend about $2500 or more on any MPFI conversion.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with an Edelbrock Fuel Injection Tech for about 30 minutes today concerning this MPFI swap on my truck. He told me they can burn a chip for my 383 and for an extra $40 they will exchange the 19 lb/hr injectors with 29 lb/hr and said it would support up 450 hp with those mods and a 255 lph fuel pump, which I already have installed.

So for about $1100 I'd be hooked up with a bolt on MPEFI that will use my ECM and TB and will support 450 hp. If I used their Aluminum Center Bolt Heads and a Roller Cam w/ 224/230 duration & around .500 lift on both sides. I think I'd be pretty close to 425-450 hp. When they give HP ratings, I'm not sure if they mean FWHP or RWHP? I'd assume flywheel!

I think this sounds pretty damn good!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 224/230 is too big for your truck...your low end will suck and I know they said they will burn you a chip..but they suck at burning chips. If you want to trust them..go ahead but people have been there and have not had good success. Just trying to warn ya.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

fwiw, a little while back (almost a year) I started to do a MPFI conversion on a genI. Really if you have some fab skills you could make a really badass MPFI system for pretty cheap. My plan was to do the following:
Mod a edelbrock intake (weld in injector bosses)
Use LT1 rails
Use stock LQ9 injectors
Mount the reluctor ring on the harmonic balancer setup (make it adjustable just a bit)
cam pos. sensor was the tough one, we were going to modify an old HEI to have the pickup from the ls1 cam on the drive and the sensor would be mounted to pickup the signal
use stock coil packs along with whatever proper wiring harness (truck or car depending on the coil harness and injector type)
I think that was mostly it though.
I had most of the parts and they were all used. My total came to around 700 w/everything except tuning software. all that was left was to mount it all and start tuning. You'd have to get some tuning software for sure, mainly to change the firing order. I was going to start with a tune file from the genIII van's that had the 350. I'll link to my thread if I can find it.

sorry to ramble, but if you're looking to do a MPFI system IMO this was the way to go since tuning is a cinch with HPTuners. Boost would be so easy to tune for, and even nitrous tuning would be easier. Plus you could dial in and even log info so easy with the LSx based system.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=377504

there ya go
Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Exclamation

Originally Posted by YenkoST
A 224/230 is too big for your truck...your low end will suck and I know they said they will burn you a chip..but they suck at burning chips. If you want to trust them..go ahead but people have been there and have not had good success. Just trying to warn ya.
Well, that cam was to be used in conjunction with other mods. I had a similar cam in my 1979 3/4 ton with a 383, turbo 400, 14 bolt-4.56, and a 880 cfm Q-Jet carb, L31 Vortec heads cut for 2.02/1.6 valves and it ran real well in that combo. So is the ECM controls what causes problems in newer trucks with healthy cams?

I'll take your advise on the cam and find something smaller. You are probably right about Edelbrock's Chip tuners - since they have to stay within the emissions laws. But I do have my own tuner with whom I've worked with for a couple years now and he can dyno tune for me. His shop is only 1.5 hrs from my home. So if Edelbrock could get the tune close, he could tweak it on the dyno.

Is it the tuning or the MPEFI system in general you don't like?

What I'm looking at is doing more than just the MPEFI, I want new heads, cam and a much better rear end like a new Moser 12 bolt or 14 bolt with a good posi and 4.10:1 gears. If I spend my budget (blow my wad) on a better MPI like a Proflow or Commander or what ever, there wont be any money left for the other stuff..

Last edited by Savage Sierra; 12-12-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
fwiw, a little while back (almost a year) I started to do a MPFI conversion on a genI. Really if you have some fab skills you could make a really badass MPFI system for pretty cheap. My plan was to do the following:
Mod a Edelbrock intake (weld in injector bosses)
Use LT1 rails
Use stock LQ9 injectors
Mount the reluctor ring on the harmonic balancer setup (make it adjustable just a bit)
cam pos. sensor was the tough one, we were going to modify an old HEI to have the pickup from the ls1 cam on the drive and the sensor would be mounted to pickup the signal
use stock coil packs along with whatever proper wiring harness (truck or car depending on the coil harness and injector type)
I think that was mostly it though.
I had most of the parts and they were all used. My total came to around 700 w/everything except tuning software. all that was left was to mount it all and start tuning. You'd have to get some tuning software for sure, mainly to change the firing order. I was going to start with a tune file from the genIII van's that had the 350. I'll link to my thread if I can find it.

sorry to ramble, but if you're looking to do a MPFI system IMO this was the way to go since tuning is a cinch with HPTuners. Boost would be so easy to tune for, and even nitrous tuning would be easier. Plus you could dial in and even log info so easy with the LSx based system.
Wow, I wish I had the skills, knowledge and tools to do my own fabricating, that would help a lot. But I'm an ex-carpenter/cabinet maker with no automotive training what-so-ever. The other problem with that idea is I'm disabled due to severe nerve damage in my right arm and hand and I'm not very ambidextrous and my left hand has developed carpal tunnel after I lost use of my right arm. So I'm both physically and mentally challenged when it comes to mechanical stuff.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, Im sorry man. The MPFI systems are sweet, but if you're wanting some simple reliable horsepower you could do a good intake/heads/cam swap and you'll be on your way. You might benefit from going to a carbed setup though. It would be simple, but with the right heads/intake/carb you could put down some serious power.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
wow, Im sorry man. The MPFI systems are sweet, but if you're wanting some simple reliable horsepower you could do a good intake/heads/cam swap and you'll be on your way. You might benefit from going to a carbed setup though. It would be simple, but with the right heads/intake/carb you could put down some serious power.
Thanks,

My truck makes decent power for a TBI set up it runs the 1/4 in 14.60 @ 93 mph. My problem is for a 383 cid with some good parts I thought/expected it to be much quicker. I assumed a 14.0 or better. Thats why I think that its the TBI thats holding it back.

The engine builder ran it on his engine dyno with a small 600 cfm carb and no mufflers or accessories and it made 337 hp and 466 lb/ft. Thats with stock heads and a very mild camshaft 210/216, .440/.454 & 114 LSA.

So in My opinion the TBI is choking it!

Quick Reply: Edelbrock TBI to MPFI Conversion, anyone have this?