Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7 Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 5.7 Install Questions

I am pulling the motor out of my 02 Camaro SS, LS1-5.7 and plan on rebuilding it with new seals, bearings, rings, etc and installing it onto my 03 GMC. I already have ported heads, small cam & BBK intake for the new engine and I thought about looking into a 4.00 stroke crank to add to the torque of the new motor, if anyone is selling one then please chime in.

I have a few questions about the build;

Will Pacesetter LT headers for the 5.3 fit the 5.7?
Do I have to make wire modifications or can I just dyno tune the new motor without any electronic issues?
I am looking at a 2800 stall for both track and towing, is this possible?
Other than the truck oil pan, is there another part from the truck motor that needs to accompany the car motor for the swap?

Any suggestions or advice for this old/new motor build? Thanks guys!

Chad
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
I am pulling the motor out of my 02 Camaro SS, LS1-5.7 and plan on rebuilding it with new seals, bearings, rings, etc and installing it onto my 03 GMC. I already have ported heads, small cam & BBK intake for the new engine and I thought about looking into a 4.00 stroke crank to add to the torque of the new motor, if anyone is selling one then please chime in.

I have a few questions about the build;

Will Pacesetter LT headers for the 5.3 fit the 5.7?
Do I have to make wire modifications or can I just dyno tune the new motor without any electronic issues?
I am looking at a 2800 stall for both track and towing, is this possible?
Other than the truck oil pan, is there another part from the truck motor that needs to accompany the car motor for the swap?

Any suggestions or advice for this old/new motor build? Thanks guys!

Chad
Headers will fit
Leave the truck harness alone and use it
A tight 2800 converter should be OK for towing, I think that most guys top out at about a 3k converter at most when towing (I'd give Chris at Circle-D a call and see what converter he would recommend)
and finally, besides the oil pan, you'll want to swap over the truck intake as the LS1 style car intake won't clear the truck accessories, or you'll have to make some mods to the front of the engine such as using a GMT900 water pump, relocated idler pulley, some grinding on the alternator bracket, etc. If you search this section for LS6 intake swap you should find the info you need to make your BBK intake work. You could always sell the BBK intake and get a new FAST LSXRT
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks man, I was going to use EVERYTHING on the LS1 motor including the water pump, alternator and maybe even the A/C. I havent decided if I want to run the A/C in the 427 in the Camaro yet.
I have a BBK intake that I got for free and have done a little decorating to it!
One concern I didnt mention in the previous post was the Electronic throttle on the truck, will that fit the BBK intake as well as the MAF without any issues?
I found a 2800 stall on ls1tech, I might have to look further into that.

Thanks for the help man, Cheers!!

Chad