Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Traction Control

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra w/5.3L V8...

I was wondering is there a way I can set traction control to default to the OFF position (preferably without the dash warning light)??
Old 01-24-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

didn't know they had traction control! Is yours 2wd or 4wd?
Old 01-24-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder how traction control would act with a 4wd .... that would be kinda wierd. Trying to get the tires going enough to clean them out, but the traction control kicks in and you sink ... I could see that one happening.

I don't know how to help you out there dood. Maybe you could do it with EDIT, but not sure on that one.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

I have a two-wheel drive... the traction control system defaults to ON... and there is a button on the dash that switches it off. But, it lights up a HUGE warning light on the dash when its disabled, and when the truck is turned off it resets to the ON position again.

Basically the system works by cutting Fuel whenever the rear tires lose traction, and re-engaging fuel when they regain traction... but the system is not GRADUAL in the least bit.

Since, these trucks are VERY light in the back and are rpetty torque-y it is pretty easy to break loose from a dead stop (especially if turning as in pulling out of a driveway.) So, since it isn't gradual it KILLS almost all power to the engine... truck GRINDS to a halt... then hard-throttle is re-engaged... truck kills all power... so basically its like a bucking bronco until you disengage the accelerator completely. Really, with the way the system works I don't see how it would be benficial in ANY situation other than maybe a hydro-plane when you are travelling at contstant speed.

I didn't want the option to begin with, but I bought a 2003 late in the year with all the rebates and the truck has all the other options/color I was looking for... so, now if I could just disable that horrible feature I would be a happy camper.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Only thing I know to tell you to do it to complain to the dealer about it. Maybe they can tone it down. Tell them you are worried in a hydroplane situation it may do like you were saying and cause you to go into a bad spin.

Just FYI .. it isn't cutting fuel. I'd bet it is actually closing the throttle blade since it's all electronic. If you look at it, there are no cables to the throttle, just a nice fat plug.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:27 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine disabled for over 2 years now. It sux when you go to the track and forget to turn it off! After the 1st time that happened I figured out how to disable it. I don't remember which wire-would have to go look, but you just ground 1 wire and then it defaults to off instead of on. I ran this wire through a toggle sw to ground so I can open the sw and use the traction cntrl if I want )like on rainy days) I didn't want the ETC when I bought the truck but it was the only one available at the time with all the other equip I wanted, but now I'm glad its there-my truck is way dangerous on a wet road without it.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Col, guess it's an option that I don't have!!! Or amybe only available on 2wds, because traction control on a 4wd would be pretty stupid!!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by L-EATER
I have had mine disabled for over 2 years now. It sux when you go to the track and forget to turn it off! After the 1st time that happened I figured out how to disable it. I don't remember which wire-would have to go look, but you just ground 1 wire and then it defaults to off instead of on. I ran this wire through a toggle sw to ground so I can open the sw and use the traction cntrl if I want )like on rainy days) I didn't want the ETC when I bought the truck but it was the only one available at the time with all the other equip I wanted, but now I'm glad its there-my truck is way dangerous on a wet road without it.
Yeah, I would appreciate it if you could take a look at yours when you get a chance and let me know which wire needs to be grounded.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 01-25-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look in your owners book. It tells how to set the default setting. If you don't have your book let me know and I'll look it up for you. I set mine to being off as the default, I only turn it on when it is raining hard or slippery roads. I can't remember how it is done, but I think it is done by putting the ignition to on, and then holding the button down for a period of time. Just look in the book and you should find the instructions for it. That is where I found out how to set the Traction Control for my truck.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

there should be no need to ground out wires or play with the wiring. Just read your owners book.

Quick Reply: Disable Traction Control