Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detonation info

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default detonation info

I was passing someone and noticed a weird noise at wot.
Turned out to be signs of detonation from videos and others explanations.
Thinking back, this has happened one or two times in the past and never thought anything of it.

Does detonation only happen at wot?

Can it happen during every day driving without hitting wot?

Can someone please tell me when detonation happens?

Does it happen all the time but is only noticed at wide open throttle and why is that?

What should I do? I've been filling up with 93 for a couple of fill ups.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I've never dealt with this before.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I was passing someone and noticed a weird noise at wot.
Turned out to be signs of detonation from videos and others explanations.
Thinking back, this has happened one or two times in the past and never thought anything of it.

Does detonation only happen at wot? No it can occur at different load ranges

Can it happen during everyday driving without hitting wot? Yes

Can someone please tell me when detonation happens? You need to tell us when it's occurring in your application unless your asking for a definition and when it usually occurs

Does it happen all the time but is only noticed at wide open throttle and why is that? No, It's usually caused by something.

What should I do? I've been filling up with 93 for a couple of fill ups. We need more info about your setup. Stock or modified engine? I know you were dealing with transmission issues in the past but has the engine side been tuned?

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I've never dealt with this before.
Thanks
See answers in red above to specific questions.

At WOT, It can be caused by Several things such as quality of fuel, too aggressive of a timing table, Excessive carbon build up, Engine temperature Vs. incoming air temperature and fuel blend, Oil droplets from a bad PCV or oil getting sucked past the rings or valve guide seals, Engine going lean from a possible injector issue, Overheated spark plugs, and list goes on and on..

These are some articles I found that better explain what's going on. While I understand it and what's going on, I am not that good at explaining it like these do.
Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition by Allen W. Cline
The Causes of Internal Engine Knock, and How to Eliminate it. By Ray T. Bohacz
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Thanks 1Fast, I appreciate the help and your time.

I didn't realize how much was involved with this. I'm hoping it'll pass. I've been using 93 for a couple of weeks and I'm going to order a catch can tonight. I'm also ordering some plugs and wires to.

Tahoe is pretty much stock accept for a tune and stall 2800/3000, oh and I had recently installed a Airrade Jr after my tune.
I'm going to get in touch with my tuner to see if he can see what's going and adjust what needs to be.

I think this is going to push me into getting my 6.0 built sooner than later.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

If I had to Guess, your tuner probally took everything to the max for 93 octane. You installed the CAI after the tune and it's probally leaning out a little bit.

I would contact him and see if he can adjust it. I am sure its a simple fix like adding a little bit of fuel under WOT conditions.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I noticed when i installed my MIT the exhaust started smelling like a bad cat.... But very slight, and usually only in the morning, which i am thinking is more lean than necessarily bat cat(s)..... Better flowing intake as brick said is probably going to need more fuel at WOT... Especially if you have a tune... My yukon i have yet to start on the engine side of tuning still familiarizing myself with the trans side at this point....
Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
If I had to Guess, your tuner probally took everything to the max for 93 octane. You installed the CAI after the tune and it's probally leaning out a little bit.

I would contact him and see if he can adjust it. I am sure its a simple fix like adding a little bit of fuel under WOT conditions.
I made an appointment, earliest I can get in is 25th, sucks. But they're pretty cool and close by. In all honesty, I don't remember if he went 93 or 87.
Is there anything in particular I should ask him?

Thank You

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I noticed when i installed my MIT the exhaust started smelling like a bad cat.... But very slight, and usually only in the morning, which i am thinking is more lean than necessarily bat cat(s)..... Better flowing intake as brick said is probably going to need more fuel at WOT... Especially if you have a tune... My yukon i have yet to start on the engine side of tuning still familiarizing myself with the trans side at this point....
Thanks man
I've been checking out your trans build, also trolling craigslist for an 80, with no luck, hah. I'd even buy a rebuilt one if I could find someone selling them straight up without a core/core charge.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

just tell him you're getting ping and if he is competent he can determine what's causing it.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

I'll do that, thanks TX
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

As mentioned, Tell him it's pinging.

Run some fuel injection cleaner through the system first. Then fill up with good quality Gas when you go back. If he is dyno tuning, Maybe take him out on the street and have him log it under WOT so he can see what's going on. Dyno's are a tool for measuring and can not always simulate what you experience on the road under WOT.

There excellent tools when used properly, How ever sometimes you just have to get out under the exact conditions and replicate whats happening.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
I made an appointment, earliest I can get in is 25th, sucks. But they're pretty cool and close by. In all honesty, I don't remember if he went 93 or 87.
Is there anything in particular I should ask him?

Thank You

Thanks man
I've been checking out your trans build, also trolling craigslist for an 80, with no luck, hah. I'd even buy a rebuilt one if I could find someone selling them straight up without a core/core charge.
2 or 4wd and what you wanna spend on it???

Quick Reply: detonation info