Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank relearn

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Crank relearn

Can a Snap-on Solus Pro do a crank relearn on an NBS? I have a buddy that has one of those and a Maxysis.

I'm planning on getting a tune and just wanted to know. When I do swap the PCM, will the truck run before I do the relearn or should I not swap it until I have driven to my friends shop?

Thanks,
Joey
Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a procedure you can follow so you dont have to use anything to do a crank relearn.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Thanks I didn't know that. I'll search for it.

Again I've said it before but I'm new to the GM stuff and I'm trying to learn so I apologize for asking dumb questions.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Solus and the Maxisys can both do it. The Maxisys will do it better. (I'm biased)

It's very easy to do a crank relearn and it absolutely MUST be done. There is NO bypassing the crank relearn procedure and it MUST be done with a scan tool. No combination of pedals/buttons/key cycles/etc will mean squat if you don't initiate the procedure with a scan tool.

Anyone that tells you it can be skipped or that you should drive 100 miles to calibrate it is misinformed and should not be listened to.

The PCM has to be instructed to enter mapping mode, then under a set of fixed conditions (WOT, climbing RPM) it measures the waveform of the reluctor wheel. No two teeth have the same magnetic response and the circular waveform is used in advanced calculations to determine the best spark advance, fueling, etc.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
The Solus and the Maxisys can both do it. The Maxisys will do it better. (I'm biased)

It's very easy to do a crank relearn and it absolutely MUST be done. There is NO bypassing the crank relearn procedure and it MUST be done with a scan tool. No combination of pedals/buttons/key cycles/etc will mean squat if you don't initiate the procedure with a scan tool.

Anyone that tells you it can be skipped or that you should drive 100 miles to calibrate it is misinformed and should not be listened to.

The PCM has to be instructed to enter mapping mode, then under a set of fixed conditions (WOT, climbing RPM) it measures the waveform of the reluctor wheel. No two teeth have the same magnetic response and the circular waveform is used in advanced calculations to determine the best spark advance, fueling, etc.
What don't you like about the Snap on Vs. the Maxisys
Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys that's what I thought. I was reading as much as I could about it and didn't see a way around it. CWalker did you mean the security relearn? I found that and bookmarked it.