Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions before I install longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Why else would I get headers and a cam in an Avalanche? Just gonna have my foot in it all the time.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04silveradoz7122
Thank you for all the input guys, I think the street tune sounds more realistic and I get what you all are saying about them not being able to log real time data, it all makes sense I was just trying to kinda feel out what everyone thought about a handheld to tune a full exhaust setup, I'm going to look into hp tuners since it seems to be the most common and from what I've heard from a couple friends who have done it to theirs, if you know what is what and the right way to adjust things, it's pretty straightforward. I'll ask around me or if anyone chimes in about being local. If anyone is familiar with MD, Montgomery County area
Another great option that many use is a Black Bear Autocal tune. Check out his website (sponsor on the right) and also search autocal on here... Sounds great for what you need and you can retune when you add parts.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Sometimes I question if that guy even knows what he's doing. Playing the waiting game and in my opinion guessing at tuning isn't right.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Sometimes I question if that guy even knows what he's doing. Playing the waiting game and in my opinion guessing at tuning isn't right.
My thoughts exactly. IMO you can't tune something unless you are physically there with the vehicle to be tuned.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Sorta, maybe on not being there. Remote tuning can actually work really well but that is basically real time tuning still. My thoughts are more on the time process that it really takes to tune certain vehicles. It could take a very long time to go back and forth with him on just one part of tuning, like say the VE table. It might take 3-5+ times of data logging and correcting to get things accurate again. Then same with MAF tuning and other aspects of the tune.

It's so easy to just change 10 things, disable the nannys and make it seem like it's running absolutly awesome but in the end is it really running that well?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

True. And that's kind of where I was going with that. It's not a "one and done" type tune like u would get locally with someone physically at ur vehicle. It's a back and forth game like u said to slowly get the tune more and more complete and correct. I can totally see remote tuning for small upgrades such as A Cai, headers, cat delete, and lather throttle body. But past that I would trust it. Especially once u go with head and valve train mods.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

But you could also play that back and forth game with a local tuner if they don't know what the hell they are doing. I found that out the hard way with my first "tune", if u wanna call it that lol
Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Blackbear has sucked in all the other boards but at least here you can mention why you wouldn't use him. A friend of mine got a supercharged truck (LM7 with a TVS1900) and it was remote tuned by Justin. It took forever to muddle through his one word emails he would send every 5 to 7 days but we asked to pay for a retune ( we didn't pay for the original) from pullying down the blower and running a 90 mm TB. He flat out said no, it's fine don't waste your money...... fine.... lol. First run at the track it popped from running lean... really fine. I told the guy we should tune it ( I have software) but he was like naw I will run it cause buddy says its good..... Yeah adding like 5 lbs of boost and whatnot doesn't need any attention.

I also watched him write some of the dumbest opinions on intake air temperature in my life..... and get torn apart by other tuners and knowledgeable people....

There are much better options out there.....
Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

+1 for no BB.

My other board loves him, but I've concluded that for the most part, he provides a canned tune he worked out on a local vehicle, and says its "optimized" for your ride.

He is good at making stock seem faster, but thats not terribly hard:

Up line pressure, add a few degrees, lean it out, change shift MPH: all **** he did on a local truck, then cans it, emails it to you and its ok.

for actual builds, go local by all means. And any MAF vehicle that is dyno tuned will need to be driven on the street afterward and probably have the G(rams)PS adjusted for the different air flow. Any tuner who wont do that with you is a not a tuner I would take anything I care about to.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When BB told me that coolant temp had no bearing on performance I almost fell over in my chair laughing. Also practically fell over again for the reasons he said. Truth be known I have seen a few tunes he wrote and they were a joke for the setup. Same goes for TBIChips guy.