Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Couple questions before I install longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions before I install longtubes

hello all, I'm new here but little run down on the truck I guess, 04 z71, catback by db, msd wires, tr55s, rough country level kit, and that's about it

anyways, I'm planning to install longtubes and just kind of had a couple questions, I work at a gm dealer, so gaskets and all that stuff I can get, but one of my questions was, will I hurt anything if I install the longtubes with no tune? I plan to tune it eventually, probably along the lines of diablo with custom tune, also for anybody who can answer, will I need to run o2 foulers or can I tune for them? my truck is not whatsoever considered performance, just wanna make it a little better

Thanks, TJ
Old 11-01-2016, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It will run rich with the longtubes, definitely would want to get it tuned.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Teching In

That's what I thought, thanks, I would just get the little intune handheld one with a custom tune, but the reason why I like the trinity, is because it can monitor obd2 stuff and I like to see trans temp, and unfortunately the 1500s didn't come with the trans gauge in the dash like the 2500s did
Old 11-01-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Don't buy a diablow tuner, they are not worth your money. They themselves can not actaully tune the vehicle. Not even a "custom" tune from a diablo tuner can get the vehicle correctly tuned because they can not log real time data that actually be put into the calibration. With a header install you'd need to retune the VE and MAF curve with a real tuning software like EFI Live or HP tuners, both can fully log and change any table inside the computer to match what your logs are saying.

You are better off taking the money you'd put towards a Diablo tuner and just buying HP Tuners and learning this stuff yourself. It will save you a lot of hassle and the vehicle could actually be tuned right.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Don't buy a diablow tuner, they are not worth your money. They themselves can not actaully tune the vehicle. Not even a "custom" tune from a diablo tuner can get the vehicle correctly tuned because they can not log real time data that actually be put into the calibration. With a header install you'd need to retune the VE and MAF curve with a real tuning software like EFI Live or HP tuners, both can fully log and change any table inside the computer to match what your logs are saying.

You are better off taking the money you'd put towards a Diablo tuner and just buying HP Tuners and learning this stuff yourself. It will save you a lot of hassle and the vehicle could actually be tuned right.
That makes sense, it would definitely be a learning experience if I went the way you mentioned above, I don't mean to sound like I'm not taking your advice but what do you think about maybe a dyno tune, so someone can actually monitor all that stuff as it does pulls right then and there, especially looking at the A/F cause I don't want it to run extremely rich and with what you're saying. I don't think a little handheld could adjust all that stuff. I could probably figure it out myself, but it's a daily and I don't want it to run like **** because of something I did, if you get what I'm saying
Old 11-01-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Wanted to hold off a dyno tune til I cam it but wanted to get these doggon headers on soon. How rich are we talkin?? Ha
Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I understand where you are coming from.

The Diablo handheld can do the just the normal stuff but I haven't seen any of their recent stuff to know exactly what they change in the tunes now. I know they would change the timing, transmission shifts and use a leaner fuel mixture for WOT because factory is around 10.9-11.0 once you get up around 5,000rpm (it's for safety and if you were towing they want fuel there to keep cylinder temps down as well as wanting everyone and their mother to be able to drive it anywhere). Leaner isn't wrong at all but that's about all they could do without real data logging and having the ability to change airflow tables at any given time like HPT/EFI Live.

A dyno tune could work too if there are good places around you. Though to be honest most places do just try to get through vehicles as fast as they can. Most only taking the minimum amount of time to tune them. Making sure fueling is okay and little to no knock. Having one take the 2-3 hours that it could really take to fully retune the VE and MAF curve would be few and far between. Having owned a tuner and seeing many dyno shop tunes kind of disappoints me too often when I see what some places call quality work.

Perhaps a local on here could help you too, that may be option.

I still encourage anyone to buy a tuner and learn this stuff if you really want too. it does take time but it's worth it. If you bought it now before you did the headers that would make it even eaiser to learn with. Stock vehicles that the best way to learn how everything works, it's much harder to screw anything up. Buying a wideband would be a must too if you really want to tune and know your real time AFR's.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should get a street tune instead of a dyno tune, IMO. unless you plan on running WOT at 7 grand all the time when you drive.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Thank you for all the input guys, I think the street tune sounds more realistic and I get what you all are saying about them not being able to log real time data, it all makes sense I was just trying to kinda feel out what everyone thought about a handheld to tune a full exhaust setup, I'm going to look into hp tuners since it seems to be the most common and from what I've heard from a couple friends who have done it to theirs, if you know what is what and the right way to adjust things, it's pretty straightforward. I'll ask around me or if anyone chimes in about being local. If anyone is familiar with MD, Montgomery County area
Old 11-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Drspencer
I'm in the same boat. Wanted to hold off a dyno tune til I cam it but wanted to get these doggon headers on soon. How rich are we talkin?? Ha
You tell me how rich we're talking. lol I would love to cam it. It would sound perfect. But like I said it is a daily and I don't wanna deal with cam surge in a 4 speed in traffic on the way to work. Lol at least not right now. Maybe get another daily and have fun with this