Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Coolant in oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Keep us posted with what you figure out with it.... Ive heard good and bad things with felpro gaskets, personally havent had any issues with them.... My 99 i am running some other gaskets i got off of ebay which are either victor reinz or felpro reboxed and i cant remember which at moment.....
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana LS
Thanks for everyones input on this. I had not thought of the block being machined incorrectly.
But since it was new it has had a very small amount of coolant in the oil since it was new I would find it hard to have a cooler issue. But you never know. Ive seen bad new parts.
There is no oil in the overflow bottle. So I'm leaning toward a head sealing issue weather its the gasket or now maybe a problem with the block.
I talked with another guy an he was thinking the felpro gaskets may seal a little better than the MLS gaskets. Any thoughts on this? For anyone who has used them.
If there was a machining problem I would hope to see where its leaking a put a little sealant in that area just in case it is a problem with the block deck.

Sounds like with the lack of information or No one saying anything about the GM coolant tablets they must not be that great of a deal?
No such thing as a head job in a can or tablet.

I probably wont start working on it for a few months till it get warmer. Just in case I need some machine work. Then I can drive my car around.
If anyone comes up with anything else I will defiantly be watching for any other info.
Thanks.
I have not used the Felpro Gaskets so I don't know.

As far a the coolant tabs, Sometimes they can plug things up in the coolant system so not many people like to use them.

No, There is no real head job in a can. I have seen and tried different products and it's usually a miss more than a fix. If it does fix it's usually temporary and does not last long.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Felpro is MLS (Multi-Layer-Steel). They have some special coatings (looks like a blue film) that help prevent oil/coolant crossleaks. Felpro gaskets are usually slightly thicker than OE gaskets, I think the number is 4 thousandths or so.

Victor Reinz mainly does rubber and rubberized metal gaskets.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Felpro is MLS (Multi-Layer-Steel). They have some special coatings (looks like a blue film) that help prevent oil/coolant crossleaks. Felpro gaskets are usually slightly thicker than OE gaskets, I think the number is 4 thousandths or so.

I haven't heard of them. Will have to check them out. Have you used the Victor Reinz gaskets?
Interested in how they hold up.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have used victor reinz gaskets, usually come with reman engines we get at work. Havent had any issues with them. Felpro tends to try to improve on the oe design sometimes too much, ive had issues with fitment with some of the felpro gaskets...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I have used victor reinz gaskets, usually come with reman engines we get at work. Havent had any issues with them. Felpro tends to try to improve on the oe design sometimes too much, ive had issues with fitment with some of the felpro gaskets...
When I looked at this name Victor Reinz yesterday I hadn't realized at the time maybe too early in the morning. But after I looked them up I have used them in the past. Just forgot about them until I seen the packaging.
Did some looking around an these do seem like a good gasket.