Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Coolant leak around motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak around motor mount?

Hey guys I just put a new 5.3 in my truck a few thousand miles ago. It only had 18,000 miles on it and looked like it was in great shape. I've put about 1000 miles on it and I've gone through about 1/4 gal of antifreeze already. I crawled under it today and found that there's coolant coming from around the motor mount bracket where it bolts to the block. Is there a freeze plug there? I didnt take too long to look at it b/c I feel like crap right now. There's no coolant above the motor mount though
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Is it on the driver side or passenger side? If its the passenger side you may just overfilled the coolant resovoir and it is draining out of the hose...

If you had a coolant plug missing you would loose all the fluid in about 30 seconds with the engine running.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Its on the drivers side. I doubt its a missing freeze plug. I thought maybe its loose or just screwed/pressed in all the way.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

Hmm...well there is the power steering sytem and brake system over there as well, are you sure it is coolant? It would help if you could identify where exactly on the block the coolant is coming from.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Its bright green.... It definitely coolant. I've replaced the engine, transmission, and rear end on this truck completely by myself. I know what I'm doing. Its not just coolant overflow, its not power steering fluid, and its not brake fluid.

My main reason for this post is to see if there were any freeze plugs underneath the mount since I'm going to have to pull the motor mount bracket to see underneath it. Its looks like its coming down from one of the bolt bosses in the block. I can't get a good angle to see exactly where it is coming from.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a gauge for that

Ok, to answer your question no there is not one under the mount.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Dont take me wrong, but is there any possibility of forcing too long of a bolt in the motor mount holes into the block, there are coolant passages less than 1/4" from those holes.

We had a truck at work that somebody actually cracked the block by cross threading and over tightening those bolts, up till that point I never knew the passages were that close.

If you find out that the coolant is leaking from the bolt its self, take it out, put some teflon tape on it and try that.

I can check a block tomorrow but I am pretty sure there is no freeze plugs in that area.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Default 1994 chevy 1500 suburban

Hey guys i have a 1994 chevy suburban 1500 and had some issues with alot of coolant dripping when i turn off my truck it seems to be leaking on the front passenger engine mount is there a gasket there or would it be the intake manifold this is giving me headaches.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 AM

Default 1995 checy Z71

Frankman, my 1995 Chevy Z71 just experience same problem as you described. I have not carried it to repair shop yet. What did your problem end up being?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Coolant leaking from engine mount.

Originally Posted by Tshearman
Hey guys I just put a new 5.3 in my truck a few thousand miles ago. It only had 18,000 miles on it and looked like it was in great shape. I've put about 1000 miles on it and I've gone through about 1/4 gal of antifreeze already. I crawled under it today and found that there's coolant coming from around the motor mount bracket where it bolts to the block. Is there a freeze plug there? I didnt take too long to look at it b/c I feel like crap right now. There's no coolant above the motor mount though

hey did you find out what your issue was with the coolant leak. I'm having exact issues with my 350 in a chevy express van.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak around motor mount?