Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Competition Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Competition Engine Build

Hi Everyone,

Finally got the motor pulled out of the pull truck and wanted to post my proposed parts list and see what everyone thinks the results will be. I also have a couple questions to ask to go with the information provided. I am limited in the class I run to keep stock exhaust manifolds, but this is essentially the parts list I've designed.

Parts List:
King LS Main Bearings
King LS Rod Bearings
Durabond Race Cam Bearings
Vengeance Racing Vindicator or Custom Cam
ARP Head, Main Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
NNBS Intake Manifold
Stock Exhaust Manifolds
LS9 Head Gaskets
ATI Super Damper
GM LS7 Lifters
GM Lifter Trays
Dirty Dingo Solid Motor Mounts
Chevrolet Performance High Volume Oil Pump
BTR 3/8" Pushrods
BTR .660" Lift Spring Kit (Titanium)
Nick Williams 92mm Throttle Body
Texas Speed Polished Valve Covers
Vengeance Racing Spark Plug Wires
BTR Camshaft Install Kit
ARP Crank Bolt
799 Cylinder Heads How Much Can I Mill with Plastic Intake??
Fly Cut Pistons (LQ9 Pistons)
Yank Sled Pulling Torque Converter with Electric Lock-Up

Engine is an LQ4 Engine

Also, assuming I can run any Octane Race Fuel, what would everyone recommend milling the 799 Heads and what kind of compression fuel will I need. Planning to spin this motor 8,000+ RPM down the track

Any information you guys can provide or issues with my parts list would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Is this for pulling only or will you drive it on the street?

If pulling only, do you have to keep the stock intake manifold as well? If not, get one of the tunnel rams with a 102mm tb, some dome pistons at 13:1 compression and run it on q16 and spin that bitch to the moon! You are going to need better lifters than the LS7s at that rpm as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Strictly pulling. Trailered everywhere. Rules indicate Stock Truck Intake Manifold, Open Throttle Bodies, Truck Available Heads (799 Heads), Stock Cast Exhaust Manifolds, Otherwise open. What is the limiting RPM on LS7 Lifters? What is a budget minded but better option then those lifters?

Where will I stop breathing through Stock Exhaust Manifolds and Intake Manifold?

Has anyone used a 92mm Nick Williams Cable Driven on a NNBS Intake Manifold?

Has anyone milled .100"+ off 799 Heads with NNBS Intake Manifold?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I have a gauge for that

I would go for some L92 heads (Which came on trucks) and again try to raise the compression as much as you can since you can use race gas. Unfortunately I don't know that much about max effort NA engines. I think around 6800rpm is where most people say the max for LS7s are. Some of the Johnson or morel link bar lifters would be where I think you want to look.

I used a cable TB on a L92 intake at one point, worked fine, just have to make a little bracket to anchor the cable. You will want to port the manifold and use a 100mm tb if you can fit it.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Will L92 Heads bolt up to a NNBS Intake Manifold?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

NNBS is a yea range...07-14, in those years the 4.8s and 5.3s had cathedral heads, and the 6.0s and 6.2s had the rectangular heads (L92s). So what I think you are asking is yes, L92 heads come with a factory plastic intake. You cant tell the difference with everything installed without looking at the casting number on the head.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

I was just curious, I purchased a NNBS Intake Manifold from a 5.3 for the build and plan to use it either with the 799 Cathedral or L92 Rectangular Port Heads. Which heads would you think bring more torque to the equation?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I have a gauge for that

You don't want torque per se, you want power (which is really just torque at rpm). The rectangular port heads do a better job at higher rpms. This isn't a daily driver so you really don't care about low rpm torque. You will probably want a 4000 stall converter and shift at 7500+.

I would sell what you have and go with an L92/LS3 setup (ls3 has better/lighter valves). No the cathedral intake will not work on the rectangular heads.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Which truck intake manifold would work for the L92 Cylinder Heads? And I cannot use LS3 Heads, but I can use LS3 Valves? Are they significantly better then the truck valves?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

The only difference between the LS3 and L92 heads are the valves and valve springs. You can put LS3 valves in L92 heads and they are essentially Ls3 heads. The L92 truck intake fits the L92 heads...

If you are wanting to spin that fast lighter valves are certainly worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Competition Engine Build