Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can routing help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch can routing help

So I've looked all over the place to see how to route these damn things and I obviously got it really wrong cause first sideways high RPM turn I threw this thing through it spit a bunch of oil out the back of the motor, unhooked the can and all good.. sooo yeah. Im lost

The red line comes from the drivers rear valve cover, then T's to the front of the passenger valve cover (same line going to same port (the top)). The blue line from the left port goes back to the intake tube and the yellow X is the right port of the can its just capped currently going no where.

Can is an Elite E2 and the motor is a 416 L92 in a Colorado..

Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you need a vacuum source? typically the valve cover connects to the intake. under vacuum the intake sucks out the gases/fumes from the valve covers . this sometimes brings back oil into the intake. so you plumb a catch can in between this line to stop this oil going into the intake.

you have yours plumbed in between your air intake tube and maybe this does not have enough vacuum to pull these gases out?

not sure if that is your problem or just part of it? i have no idea what i am doing

my catch can setup is passenger valve cover (from oil filler hole) to catch can, catch can to intake manifold. driver side valve cover with breather to atmosphere. any other extra factory openings were blocked off (pass valve to TB) sometimes people run the driver side valve cover to the intake tube (pre-turbo/pre-throttle body) for fresh air INTO the valve covers instead of using the breather like i did.

_zblee
Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one on order right now and the way it was explained to me, from the manufacture, was pretty much the way you have it setup, except the one from the valley cover/throttle body area "T'd" off into the other line.

Vacuum being from intake tube, suction from valve cover. Do you have the Catch can ports in the right direction, they should be marked "Inlet" and "Outlet"? I was also told to not "T" two lines together because of suction or flow issues. Maybe that is your problem? I am no expert on this tho. Someone will chime in.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm yeah I'm thinking the T could be the problem as well. Not sure if they are marked in and out. Looking inside seems like they both act the same but I could be wrong. Maybe move the t line to the unused port? Hmm
Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert on catch cans or the L92, but when I had a catch can on my 5.3 I had it mounted on the driver's side because it was a shorter route. The line out of the driver's side valve cover should go into the catch can, then it should go out of the catch can and back into the intake manifold after the throttle body. The line from the intake tube should go to the passenger's side valve cover as this is the fresh air entrance into the crankcase.

I marked up your photo with how I would route the lines.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an older truck, but mine is routed similar to the last post. I have a filter on the end of the hose coming from the passenger side valve cover vs. it going to the intake tube. Works as it should how I have it connected.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome I'll give that a try, thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
Bluecollar Hotrods (12-06-2022)