Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get some Exhaust recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get some Exhaust recomendations?

Hey guys! So Im in the market for the best sounding and loudest exhaust for my silverado prerunner. I live in California so keep that in mind. I have about 3 options that I can think of. I just know I want it louder and to sound mean. Right now I have a 5.3l with an intake and exhaust dumped after the cats and it's not loud enough. I will be doing a cammed LQ9 swap within the next year and want to be able to use the same exhaust for the 6.0 without haveing to change it up to help with the cost of the swap. The objective is to get a loud grumbly exhaust and help my torque.

Option 1: long tube headers, true duals, and a X pipe
The reason I'm worried about this is the fact that if I get pulled over and a cop wants to check for cats I'll be screwed and when I have to smog I'll have to change my exhaust back over to stock.

Option 2: pick up a set of short tube headers used for cheap and and get them ceramic coated, get a new section of the exhaust made that goes from the headers to the right after where the cats would be and make it removable with a flange so I can always just swap the pipes when I need to smog and run dynamax race bullets on a dual set up with an x pipe.

I like option 2 because it's the most legal method but I want power and torque so please give me your thoughts. Thanks for reading!!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've Hurd guys with long tubes put dummy cats on. Then wen inspection comes around swap to stock. As far as a muffler goes. If u want loud go with a bullet style muffler. My tuner runs the shortes SLP Loudmouth. It sounds pretty good and loud.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

The problem with Cali is you can't modify where the cats are for smog so even with cats on a long tube set up it's illegal because it's relocating where there supposed to be from factory. I'll check out those slp loudmouths tho! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Any other ideas people?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking at eithe JBA catforward headers for sorties or the pacesetter LT's. Both would be ceramic coated and the shorties are only 100$ more and I'll be legal
Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i love the borla xr-1 mufflers
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I personally ran the JBAs for years and years. Just took them off and sold them to a friend for his truck. He said they made a very noticeable difference on the bottom end of the power band. It is interesting to note that the JBA headers do have a merge cone in the little collector they have. JBA is quality made and will last a long time and show some gains. I'd run them again if I was limited to shorty headers.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
I personally ran the JBAs for years and years. Just took them off and sold them to a friend for his truck. He said they made a very noticeable difference on the bottom end of the power band. It is interesting to note that the JBA headers do have a merge cone in the little collector they have. JBA is quality made and will last a long time and show some gains. I'd run them again if I was limited to shorty headers.
Thanks! Did you have the ceramic coated ones?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Nah, just had the raw stainless headers. They really did not put off that much heat either so I would stick to the non ceramic coated honestly
Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
Nah, just had the raw stainless headers. They really did not put off that much heat either so I would stick to the non ceramic coated honestly
Sweet, how was the install??

Quick Reply: Can I get some Exhaust recomendations?