Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Cam package and stall for SCSB 2000 chevy w/ LQ9 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cam package and stall for SCSB 2000 chevy w/ LQ9 engine

working on saving for my next upgrade which will be electric fans, cam, lifters, roller rockers, and a stall. I already have long tube headers (no cats), air intake, custom tune. Question is i am new to cams and such but from what I have heard the size of the torq converter will tell you what type of cam to get (could be wrong). Just wanting opinions on size, setup, anything addition you installed along with cam. thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

226/230 cam
3400 stall
Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM

any prefered brands?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Jack Land
working on saving for my next upgrade which will be electric fans, cam, lifters, roller rockers, and a stall. I already have long tube headers (no cats), air intake, custom tune. Question is i am new to cams and such but from what I have heard the size of the torq converter will tell you what type of cam to get (could be wrong). Just wanting opinions on size, setup, anything addition you installed along with cam. thanks
It's not that one necessarily determines the other, but they do both have to be considered. For instance with a 3600 stall you could run just about any cam you wanted to, but that doesn't mean you want to go and put the biggest, nastiest thing in there.

How do you use your truck? Most of my customers are daily drivers/weekend warriors that see the track occasionally, so we are looking to make packages that will drive nicely during the week but also lay it down at the track when need be. For most of these people we suggest a 3000-3200 stall, either Circle D or Yank. That size is a nice compromise, it drives nice without feeling too soggy, but will also leave the line very hard. Gives you room to run a pretty decent sized cam also.

For cam specs, there is a lot to it. Do you like a smooth idle or a choppy idle? The rest of the mods will determine how large you can go also (manifolds vs. headers, stall, etc). Also whether you want it to drive like stock, or are willing to give up some driveability to make really serious numbers.

We have a lot of great cams on our website if you want to check them out. Our Rob Style cam is probably our most popular medium sized cam. Nice lope to it, excellent driveability, and great performance. Needs headers but can run on stock stall. Then we have our Attitude and Attitude V2 cams - they are larger and will make more power, but still have nice driveability. The attitude V2 is the bottom end record holder in an LS2 btw so it works excellent. There's quite a few vids on youtube if you want to check them out, and the specs are listed on our site.

Feel free to give us a call if you need help. We can get you the whole package including springs, pushrods, etc, and we also make electric fan kits, and much more.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
It's not that one necessarily determines the other, but they do both have to be considered. For instance with a 3600 stall you could run just about any cam you wanted to, but that doesn't mean you want to go and put the biggest, nastiest thing in there.

How do you use your truck? Most of my customers are daily drivers/weekend warriors that see the track occasionally, so we are looking to make packages that will drive nicely during the week but also lay it down at the track when need be. For most of these people we suggest a 3000-3200 stall, either Circle D or Yank. That size is a nice compromise, it drives nice without feeling too soggy, but will also leave the line very hard. Gives you room to run a pretty decent sized cam also.

For cam specs, there is a lot to it. Do you like a smooth idle or a choppy idle? The rest of the mods will determine how large you can go also (manifolds vs. headers, stall, etc). Also whether you want it to drive like stock, or are willing to give up some driveability to make really serious numbers.

We have a lot of great cams on our website if you want to check them out. Our Rob Style cam is probably our most popular medium sized cam. Nice lope to it, excellent driveability, and great performance. Needs headers but can run on stock stall. Then we have our Attitude and Attitude V2 cams - they are larger and will make more power, but still have nice driveability. The attitude V2 is the bottom end record holder in an LS2 btw so it works excellent. There's quite a few vids on youtube if you want to check them out, and the specs are listed on our site.

Feel free to give us a call if you need help. We can get you the whole package including springs, pushrods, etc, and we also make electric fan kits, and much more.
I would listen to Alvin! He tuned my Black Tahoe and it's an absolute beast!! This guy I consider one of the best out there. Truck still runs flawless. He has tuned it with the 6.0 and 80e combo 4k stall. This was before people were on the 80e bandwagon. I have some parts I want to throw on it now. But hesitant to even deal with other tuners. May have to drive my truck back cross country to his shop even.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 AM

thanks for your advice, I will def give yall a call to discuss futhur and see your products.