Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a cam and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a cam and need some advice

Truck is a soon to be a fresh rebuild 5.3 that has flat top 4.8 pistons in it and I've been wanting to do a cam in it. Will be picking up longtubes and y pipe here soon. Been lurking for awhile and I see alot of people saying the tsp 220/220 is a good cam. I DD this truck mostly highway miles. So I guess what I'm asking is would this be a good cam to run with the extra cr the flat top pistons are going to add?

If so this is the list I'm thinking:

TSP cam pkg
220/220 .600"/.600" 112 lsa
PAC 1218 beehives
TSP ls6 ported pump
Yank 3k stall (if necessary )

Things I'm not sure about is:

Pushrods
Timing chain set
Lifters

Also would the truck see better gains with a aftermarket intake or would stock suffice? Also I'll check the casting on the heads when I get a chance later this week since I'm out of town at the moment.

Sorry for all the questions lol any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a real good all around cam for that motor coupled with a 3000 stall. Get a pushrod length checker and order the correct ones according to that, the stock timing chain set should be fine unless you have like 300k miles and the Ls7 lifters that TSP sell work just fine. I think they're a tiny bit taller though so definitely invest in a pushrod length checker. The stock intake will do pretty good, but there are better, more expensive options out there.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll just about bet you that you're going to need 7.450 PR's.

As far as intakes, it's been proven that the stock intake works just fine against any other high-dollar CAI. Save your money and just get a dry flow drop-in.

You haven't mentioned tuning. I hope you just forgot about that.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

It will run strong. Some say 3000 isn't quite enough for that cam.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueTexan24
That would be a real good all around cam for that motor coupled with a 3000 stall. Get a pushrod length checker and order the correct ones according to that, the stock timing chain set should be fine unless you have like 300k miles and the Ls7 lifters that TSP sell work just fine. I think they're a tiny bit taller though so definitely invest in a pushrod length checker. The stock intake will do pretty good, but there are better, more expensive options out there.
The timing set I have currently off the old motor has 280k on it so I know I need to replace that, I'll be sure to get the length checker. I was thinking the Ls7 lifters would work but wasn't sure. So those package springs will work fine with that cam aswell?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
I'll just about bet you that you're going to need 7.450 PR's.

As far as intakes, it's been proven that the stock intake works just fine against any other high-dollar CAI. Save your money and just get a dry flow drop-in.

You haven't mentioned tuning. I hope you just forgot about that.
I'll get a checker to be sure as mentioned above. I was talking about a intake manifold however I was also thinking about getting a CAI so now I know to stray from that, thanks!

I haven't fogot about a tune, I know it's gunna need one but how shitty will it drive without one as it may take me a few weeks to get to a tuner
Also I do have a HP Tuners pro just haven't gotten anytime to teach myself yet
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
It will run strong. Some say 3000 isn't quite enough for that cam.
3000 wouldn't be enough?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

springs should be ok.

the ls7 lifters are good to go but they are stock replacements and should not be pushed past 7000rpms regulerly. also a tad bit taller and will have to take the heads off so new head gaskets and probably arp head bolts or studs.

just get the stock timing set should be ok, also look into getting a timing chain dampener for longer durability. Trick Flow® Timing Chain Dampeners TFS-K30675600 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

if you haven't priced out the stuff at brian tooly racing i would take a look as they were just a hair cheaper on some stuff and were awesome to deal with.

also a trucool 40,000 when you get that stall in to keep the trans temp in check.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bobfig
springs should be ok.

the ls7 lifters are good to go but they are stock replacements and should not be pushed past 7000rpms regulerly. also a tad bit taller and will have to take the heads off so new head gaskets and probably arp head bolts or studs.

just get the stock timing set should be ok, also look into getting a timing chain dampener for longer durability. Trick Flow® Timing Chain Dampeners TFS-K30675600 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

if you haven't priced out the stuff at brian tooly racing i would take a look as they were just a hair cheaper on some stuff and were awesome to deal with.

also a trucool 40,000 when you get that stall in to keep the trans temp in check.
I don't think I'll push the rpm that high so I should be good there then. I heard a ls2 set would be a good upgrade. I'll look over at btr for some prices.

Also I'm planing on doing the 40k true cool, but do you guys think the 60 will hold just fine? I don't really have a 80 in the budget at the moment but I could throw a good rebuild kit at the 60 if need be, the tranny has about 180K on it
Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cam doesn't need to spin past 6500ish to make peak power and fall back into the good part power band on the shift. Like said above a 3000 stall is the minimum most would like for that cam, but it'll run better with a larger stall for sure. There was a guy with a single cab a few years back that went by Blue Cajun on here that ran a tr220 (basically the same cam) with a 3600 stall, Nelson tune and Comp 918 springs and ran mid to high 12's with 4.10's and slicks shifting at 6600 I think. The stock intake manifold falls off too much to shift higher than that tbh.

Quick Reply: Buying a cam and need some advice