Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a new engine for my DD truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default building a new engine for my DD truck

Hey guys.

So I picked up a 5.3l short block that also came with a set of 862's (off engine). My game plan is to rebuild the engine, swap out my old 290k mile 5.3 for the newer eng., and give my truck a little more pep in her step.

My question is, do you guys have any suggestions for the build? I'm perfectly happy with N/A, the 862 heads, and the stock stroke and bore. Block needs a honing and the crank looks like it needs some polishing on the mains. the heads cleaned up fantastically in my parts washer(it's a heated and automated washer and the solvent is aluminum safe) I was thinking of having the heads milled to reduce the combustion chamber, but I don't know how far I can go or even if it's recommended. was going to stick with a truck manifold and throttle body and throw on some long tube headers. I'm not sure what cam to go with though. was thinking of going with the Comp Cams XFI extreme truck cam 54-451-11 as I still use my truck for towing and hauling. granted it's not like it was but when I do it's usually either hauling 1k LBS + in the bed or a 5k-6k LBS + trailer. ( need new rear leafs too, lol) and it's saying the power range is right about where I'm operating at. was looking at staying with a 1400 or so stall. would also love to have a bit extra for passing traffic when I'm unloaded as well.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great project.

I'm doing the same right now in my 08 Suburban!

If you're freshening up the lower end take a look at some 4.8 flat top pistons to bump up the compression.

You can shave the heads but you will have alignment issues with the intake if you go too far. Also keep in mind pushrod length upon time of assembly.

Cam Motion makes a fantastic cam for your needs, check them out.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good start! That is a rather small cam but should be good for what you are looking to do. You can also mill the heads and use the dished 5.3 pistons, or run the 4.8 pistons and just clean up the head surface with a clean up pass ( .005-.007 ). Some guys have had good luck with the I6 trailblazer converter. Behind a 5.3 I have heard it will stall up around 2400 +/-.

Good Luck,
Avery!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you get this thing off the ground? I plan on doing the same cam after headers and intake, then a tune on my Avalanche.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did, I picked up a second engine and got it torn down as well as a 03 intake manifold(no egr bung), then work decided to send me all over the east coast and now I have other obligations to take care of, so it's now taking a lot longer than I initially expected.