Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Bought a junk 2007 Denali

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a junk 2007 Denali

Knowingly, of course. I'll give you a quick update on what it is, and eventually start a project thread.

I went and took a look at a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali earlier today, advertised with a blown head gasket. It's black, riced out with some stick on chrome stuff (even the fake Buick style fender vents), and sitting on some badly oxidized 20's. The truck basically started puffing like crazy in January and he parked it. Covered in road salt and everything. The interior is straight up filthy, to the point where for the first time ever, I want to pass it to a detailing shop and let them deal with it.

I drove straight from his place to the car wash, rinsed it off good (still needs a solid polish and wax), and drove it right to Jiffy Lube. I'm trying my best to save the bottom end so I had them drop the oil/coolant froth, throw in the cheapest 5W-30, top up the coolant and send me out the door. I did the 10 minute drive to my place huffing and puffing smoke so bad it gave me a headache.

I've started a quick list on things that need attention:
- Detail gross-*** interior
- Touch up peeling paint on center console (not sure how yet)
- Missing tailgate handle
- Passenger rear seatbelt receiver broken
- Steering wheel worn down and looks gross
- Driver's rear door reflector missing
- Remove lame chrome stuff
- Remove oxidized step bars
- Remove aluminum bar-style grilles
- Replace oxidized signal lights
- Get rims cleaned and plasti-dip black
- Plasti-dip grille black
- Full LED interior lights
- Nav unit

The bigger more important things:
- New brakes on all 4 corners
- Figure out problem cylinder
- Pull heads and get them checked/rebuilt
- Inspect block for cracks (please god no)
- Drop the 4L65E and give it a refresh
- Figure out why it vibrates on the highway, like poorly balanced wheels

My main concern is getting it operating normally, and then I'll deal with the cosmetic stuff afterwards.

What are the chances the block is toast from the blown head gasket?

Having rebuilt a 4L60E before, is this any different?

Once it drives good, and looks good, go fast goodies. I still miss my Lightning so I figure this can be the replacement.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a nnbs denali? If so it has the 6l80 trans..also the 4l65 is same as 4l60 except the 65 in denalis/escalades have 5 pinion planets
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCSIERRA5.3
Is this a nnbs denali? If so it has the 6l80 trans..also the 4l65 is same as 4l60 except the 65 in denalis/escalades have 5 pinion planets
Crap, sorry. NBS, 2007 classic. I'd get pictures but the sun has gone down.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have your work cut out for your buddy. Get some pics, so you can look back at how bad it was lol. How much did you pay? What kind of mileage?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
Sounds like you have your work cut out for your buddy. Get some pics, so you can look back at how bad it was lol. How much did you pay? What kind of mileage?
197'000km, $5500.

Ever since I sold my '05 SLT that I built the 5.3 for, I've been itching to tear into another GM. I loved that thing but sold it to pay for school, but now that I'm halfway done my degree, I'm not as hard up for cash as I thought I would be.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

I seen that thing posted for sale... has to be the same truck. Blown head gasket with stick on chrome vents has to be one of a kind. Glad to see you got it a little cheaper than asking price too.

I actually just picked up an 06 Sierra Denali myself, you might of seen it on the classifieds as well. It's got a bunch of "go fast" parts already installed and ended up getting it for a pretty good price.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hutch08
I seen that thing posted for sale... has to be the same truck. Blown head gasket with stick on chrome vents has to be one of a kind. Glad to see you got it a little cheaper than asking price too.

I actually just picked up an 06 Sierra Denali myself, you might of seen it on the classifieds as well. It's got a bunch of "go fast" parts already installed and ended up getting it for a pretty good price.
Tinted windows and blacked out tails?

I saw that one too, but unfortunately was out of my price range. I'm currently doing my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering at the U of A, so I unfortunately have a tighter budget between September and May.

I took a look at this thing and couldn't resist. I was looking for just a regular old SLT or something, but this just happened to be there and if I can get it up and running at a decent cost, the aesthetics will come with time.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know if the interior color is the same as regular Sierras? I need a tan colored rear seatbelt receiver. GM lists a neutral color, is that what I'm looking for?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hollywood_35
Tinted windows and blacked out tails?

I saw that one too, but unfortunately was out of my price range. I'm currently doing my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering at the U of A, so I unfortunately have a tighter budget between September and May.

I took a look at this thing and couldn't resist. I was looking for just a regular old SLT or something, but this just happened to be there and if I can get it up and running at a decent cost, the aesthetics will come with time.
Nope it's a different one, the one you're talking about has almost 200k and is bone stock other than the tint, tails and wheels. The one I bought is bone stock on the outside other than LED tails, but only has 150k and $10,000 worth of receipts for motor and tranny upgrades. I also paid less for it than the other guy is asking... I latterly bought it the same day the AD was posted.

Here's a thread I just started on it, https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-tune-533221/
Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hutch08
Nope it's a different one, the one you're talking about has almost 200k and is bone stock other than the tint, tails and wheels. The one I bought is bone stock on the outside other than LED tails, but only has 150k and $10,000 worth of receipts for motor and tranny upgrades. I also paid less for it than the other guy is asking... I latterly bought it the same day the AD was posted.

Here's a thread I just started on it, https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-tune-533221/

Ironically I think we live in parallel universes. The trucks I'm talking about are up in Edmonton, Alberta. Which, doesn't look like you're up here.

The link to my project thread is in my signature, if you wanna see the super cool fender vents.

Quick Reply: Bought a junk 2007 Denali