Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bigger cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bigger cam?

I can't believe I'm actually posting this, lol. I'm wondering if I went too small on the cam in my new 6.0. Now don't get me wrong, it runs absolutely awesome! I built for torque and it's got it, yet pulls like a mule all the way up. I'm 42 years old, and as fickle as it seems, I expected this cam to sound bigger. I wanted more lope. I certainly won't sacrifice performance for sound, but I'd love more chop. This cam does sound pretty good with some chop to it, but I'd just like more.

Step back for a minute and forget what cam I have in my truck. What cam would you recommend for my setup? Bottom and mid-range torque trump top end power, but I've got far more than I can harness now. Could I keep a similiar powerband, but get a bigger sound with more chop? All the important specs are in my sig.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

IMO you could have gone a little bigger on the cam. for my 6.0 im debating between either a 224/228 or a 228r either on a 110 or 112 lsa. you might change your powerband a little bit by dropping the lsa to get more chop but you should still be good for what you want to get out of it.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A 110 LSA actually lowers the powerband over the same cam with a 112, correct?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really? I thought it would be the same just choppier. guess thats why im not a gear head.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you have the right specs for what you're describing as your goals...as you know, there's a give and take. That lopey sound that you hear is from overlap, and as overlap increases, driveability decreases. The 110 LSA that you referred to will bring the power on a little sooner, but the torque curve will not be as flat and will be more peaky. If you do decide to go bigger on the cam, I wouldn't go much more than a 224/22x on a 112 or you may lose that low end that you're looking for...just my .02.

FWIW, I've been known to be a little conservative on my cam selection, a lot of which has to do with my SBC background that I'm getting away from. I've changed my cam selection for my LQ9 numerous times...I already had a 216/224 in my possession which I sold, decided on almost the identical specs to your current cam, and now have my eyes set on a 224/228 .581/.588 112...who knows, by the time it comes together I may go bigger. Don't forget to match the converter and gears...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's hard to imagine anything running any better than what I've got. To be honest, it's far more than I hoped for. I'd just like a little more chop. Here's another serious arguement against a bigger cam. I'm not willing to rev more than 6500 RPMs.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Where's your idle set at? Bring it down and it will sound choppier
Old 10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Where's your idle set at? Bring it down and it will sound choppier
I'm probably already pushing the limit there. I'm at 650. Perhaps it's my exhaust setup hindering the sound I want. I've got some chop, but it just doesn't have as radical a sound I want.

On a positive note, I'm close to having this thing nearly as driveable as stock. That's something I'm not willing to give up. I want to be able to hand my wife the keys, and not have to worry about it dying in the middle of the intersection. I've spent FAR more time working on idle than anything else.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

It's my understanding that enough idle tuning can make even more aggressive cams sound stock...ah the joy of EFI and tuning software
Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
It's my understanding that enough idle tuning can make even more aggressive cams sound stock...ah the joy of EFI and tuning software
Another one of those give and take things, lol. I want big lope and then tune it out for improved driveability

Quick Reply: A bigger cam?