Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GM Engine & Exhaust Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Performance Trucks!
Welcome to Performance Trucks,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Trader Rating: 0

Default best header for a 03 4.8l silverado 1500

anyone have any imput on a good header system for a 4.8l 1500? im looking for a good performing header with ability to upgrade later to magnaflow cats y pipe. Anyone with headers on their 4.8l please let me in on any insight.
thank you
B
ilverado1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
On The Tree

You are not going to be able to bolt any long tubes to your factory y pipe and shorties are a waste of money. There are many threads about this try the search button out
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #3

hey thanks for the glass half empty answer and i can use the search button mr. super cool but maybe i wanted to get some new feedback also known as the point if a forum.. thanks again for that fantastic responce maybe someone who enjoys talking trucks and poss has some insight on 4.8l headers can post and have a friendly discussion in a place where others can see what new things people hav to say... again thank you soo much for your reply, extremely intelligent and insightful not to menion tactful and to the point.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Trader Rating: 21
11 Second Hall Moniter

Best header, in terms of quality, is American Racing Headers. They can come with cats, or without. And they will bolt up to your factory or aftermarket cat-back system. Let me know if you'd like more info on them.

AKlowriderZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Trader Rating: 6
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by barley View Post
You are not going to be able to bolt any long tubes to your factory y pipe and shorties are a waste of money.
I'm afraid he's right. If you want headers that bolt up to your stock Y-pipe, the shorties are the only ones that will and they are not worth doing in my opinion.

Headers that fit a 4.8 will also fit a 5.3 or a 6.0 engine. You buy the headers to fit the chassis. Long tube headers give you the best power gains. Most of the headers are so similar, there is very little difference in performance. Stainless steel headers are nice because they don't rust as much. Check out Maryland Speed or Texas Speed for available options or roll the dice and gamble with cheap eBay headers.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
On The Tree

i'm not trying to be mr super cool i'm just saying use the search cuz you can usuallf finde the answer to most of your questions there and this dead horse aka your thread or any other general header question thread has been beeten to death!!

Last edited by barley; 06-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.
barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Trader Rating: 17
TECH Addict

I have been running pacesetters for about five years, never had a leak yet, great power gains. I do run an offroad y pipe however, which will bolt up to stock exhaust. You can always weld in some cats to a modified offroad y pipe.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

So if I go long tube headers I'd need to redo my collectors and mod my catalytic placement and such? Also why do shorts do nothing? They all claim to have increases in hp fuel econ and torque. Also if I went shorties then put in a new y pipe set up that is larger dia then stock w more free flowing cats (or just get a magnaflow y pipe w hi flow cats) would that make shorties worthwhile?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

Also those American racing headers with down pipes already on them cats or not r really worth that 1500$ price tag?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Trader Rating: 17
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilverado1500 View Post
So if I go long tube headers I'd need to redo my collectors and mod my catalytic placement and such? Also why do shorts do nothing? They all claim to have increases in hp fuel econ and torque. Also if I went shorties then put in a new y pipe set up that is larger dia then stock w more free flowing cats (or just get a magnaflow y pipe w hi flow cats) would that make shorties worthwhile?
People claim they do nothing because the factory manifolds are designed like a shorty header, so putting on an aftermarket one will not give you much of a gain for the money. Longtubes are the way to go for power, but if you need to have cats and dont want to mess with modified longtubes and y pipes, shorties may be your best bet.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 1500, 2000, 2004, 2006, 48l, bolt, bolts, chevy, f150, factory, header, headers, heads, offroad, pacesetter, pipe, silverado, upgrade