Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Bad Ticking in 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Ticking in 5.3

I got my 05 Tahoe used recently (for cheap!). Knew it had some issues, but an engine tick started up about 2 weeks ago and is getting worse.

Did an oil change to see if the bearings were shredded at 220k miles. It was dirty, but not milky looking. Minimal metal flakes on the drain plug magnet. Weird red, dried residue on oil filling cap - perhaps something the previous owner put in to hid the tick???

Can't tell exactly where the noise is coming from. Could be lifters, but under the truck, it sounds like it's coming from the oil pan, so I thought maybe it's the oil pump. not sure. Oil pressure is a tad low (40psi) and isn't dropping at stop and go.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot? I'm not an amazing mechanic, but I really hate paying people to work on my rides for me if I can do it myself.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You can always try trans fluid in the oil to maybe help clear up the ticking, it might take a hundred miles or more to notice any change.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
You can always try trans fluid in the oil to maybe help clear up the ticking, it might take a hundred miles or more to notice any change.
Maybe that's what the red residue was on the oil cap- ATF. Nice profile pic! Love that movie.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Likely bad lifters. I know it sounds like it's coming from the pan, but I went through the same thing with bad lifters on a 6.0 in a 2009 3500HD. It didn't always tick, but the sound traveled to where it could be mistaken as a knock coming from the pan. Oil pressure was fine. Work truck, our shop replaced the lifters (with used ones; I don't know why) and it was quiet again for a few thousand miles then the used ones went bad...

Videos of it in post #8 of this thread https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...estions-540464

Richard
Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Likely bad lifters. I know it sounds like it's coming from the pan, but I went through the same thing with bad lifters on a 6.0 in a 2009 3500HD. It didn't always tick, but the sound traveled to where it could be mistaken as a knock coming from the pan. Oil pressure was fine. Work truck, our shop replaced the lifters (with used ones; I don't know why) and it was quiet again for a few thousand miles then the used ones went bad...

Videos of it in post #8 of this thread Dreaded lifter tick, got some questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

Richard
Thanks Man! Pretty much the same situation I'm in. I start the truck up and it's fine. After it warms up a bit, it has the same tick. The compression is still good, and the oil pressure is just a tad low at an idle. I'm starting to feel the engine run a bit rougher now as the ticks gets worse. I know I can fix this myself, but the putting-back-together part with the angle wrench - I've never done that. i don;t have the tool and sort of worry about screwing it up. With 220K miles, I'm thinking hard about replacing the engine for about $1400 (lower mile 5.3).
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

The tool is cheaper than the motor, you can't really screw it up if you take it one step at a time.

Just use a torque wrench and you are fine.