Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.

Hi all, recently I've been in contact with a number of exhaust companies about changing the sound of my exhaust. Currently the truck has a Flowmaster Super 40 series 1 in (2.5 in.) 2 out (3 in.). The truck still has the stock exhaust manifolds and cats on it. Recently, I was sitting at a coffee shop and listened to the sounds of a Mustang and a c6 Corvette drive by. That's when I got the idea that I wanted to make my truck have that aggressive sport/muscle car sound. The two cars echoed down the avenue until they were out of my site. After being in touch with Borla about their ATAK muffler I told that it would not work because they do not have a specific kit for my truck. I explained I do not need a kit and that my father was an expert fabricator, they did not care and just tried to sell me a separate boring deep exhaust like the one already on my truck. Flowmaster did not respond when I approached them too. Corsa seems to be the only video I can find on YouTube that sounds close to what I want. Basically I'm asking anyone out there who has done a custom build to give me a hand and a few ideas of how they did theirs. If anyone has used the ATAK muffler from Borla let me know how it turned out sound-wise, that was the original muffler I wished to order.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

main thing you will wanto do is get some long tube headers and a off road y-pipe. after that the mufflers up to you... i currently am running the super 44. it sounds mean as hell but its loud all the time.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mind the loudness, I just want a different tone, this standard Flowmaster sound isn't doing it for me anymore, it isn't appealing, it's just an obnoxious rumble. I'm looking for a louder crisp growl. I know it's possible I just can't figure out what muffler defines the sound the clearest.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres a few vids of mine..

in the cab, full mods.

2012-10-11_15-04-00_285.mp4 video by darnie1987 | Photobucket

old fly by... just bolt ons....
2011-11-18_09-16-46_798.mp4 video by darnie1987 | Photobucket
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the Corsa. By far the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a truck with stock manifolds and cats, and a quality product backed by a great company. You can't go wrong, unless you plan on doing headers or removing cats later...it gets really raspy due to the straight through muffler.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Launching!

long tube headers, no cat, 2 1/2" single in, single out 3" FM super 40 dumped at axle:
GMC 5.3L Sierra CC w/LPP long tube headers - flowmaster super40 dumped @ axle - YouTube

long tube headers, no cat, 3" back to Hooker AreoChamber 3" out dumped:
GMC 5.3L Sierra CC w/LPP LT headers - 3" Hooker Aerochamber dumped @ axle - YouTube

I currently have the 2nd one but added a piece of tail pipe over the axle and out the side (3")... sounds a little better but no vid.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm trying to figure out my turbo exhaust now, and I am severely missing my old Corsa touring catback. Had headers with cats and it was absolutely perfect for my DD. Very tame at idle, just enough to let you hear the cam, and screams at WOT. Expensive, but worth it if you can front the cash.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Since what I'm trying to say isn't getting across...

Watch this link: 2011 Camaro SS Borla ATAK catback exhaust - YouTube

I want to know if anyone has attempted this. I can modify the muffler however I need to in order to keep the 2 in and 1 out, but I cannot find anyone with a video attempting this.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Launching!

wish I had a video for you of the current setup.

sounds similar to that.

But if you're asking about modifying the flowmasters to that sound, I doubt that can ever happen.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I know the Flowmasters won't sound like that, but I would buy one of these ATAK mufflers if I knew it would sound similar on a 5.3

Quick Reply: Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.