Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using LSr cam 265lr hr12

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really should do the headers. LS motors love free flowing exhaust, especially with a nice cam. Stock Colorado exhaust manifolds are garbage. Doug Thorley threw a set on a Colorado 5.3 with the rest of the exhaust remaining stock. No tune. Horsepower increased by 22. Horsepower on my truck went from 244whp to 286whp with 2.5" dual exhaust, headers and tune.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In for results. I put the same cam in my 5.3, but it's still on the engine stand. Please update the thread with the results and take vids!

Originally Posted by madmann26
I have this cam in my 2006 ECSB 2wd 5.3. Properly tuned, holy jeebus. Without the tune and you'll be frustrated to say the least.

I would also recommend to measure your pushrod length and get proper length pushrods. I ran stock 7.4's and it sounded like 8 sewing machines under the hood.

I changed out the 7.4's for 7.425's and it quietened down a lot. The reason I had to use a longer PR was because the base circle of the LSR cam is smaller than the stock one.

Not sure about the 5.3's in the Colorado's.
Madmann, do you have any videos of idle? How does the cam behave? When does the power come on, peak, and fall off? What about the torque?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
In for results. I put the same cam in my 5.3, but it's still on the engine stand. Please update the thread with the results and take vids!

Madmann, do you have any videos of idle? How does the cam behave? When does the power come on, peak, and fall off? What about the torque?
Jee,

This thing makes gobs of torque. With a good tune, you can really feel it. After I had it tuned, I went out and bought HP Tuners and started tinkering with it. I changed a few more things:

1. Removed PE delay for RPM and seconds delay.
2. Enabled PE enrichment ramp to 2.0.
3. PE throttle trigger is at 50%
4. "Other" timing changes based on some feedback from a fellow tuner.
5. Used Bluecat's software to tune the TCC/lockup. Lockup in 4th is now a very noticeable thump.
6. Used JimmyBlue's spreadsheet for the FMC tables. (Holy hell this made a world of difference in shifting)

As for idle clip, of course I have an idle clip; here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2OjOLfnhk

It's not loud but that's partly because of the Dynomax VT muffler.

As for drivability, while cruising, you can't tell a difference from the stocker, until you romp down on it, then it just starts pulling. It does suffer a little off idle with the stock torque converter but with 4.11's it's minimal. I've got a Circle D 3200 waiting to get put in now, just waiting on my guy to say bring it.

As for when the power comes on, for me it's different since I have the 4.11's but off idle through 1st gear (up to when it shifts at 5900), it pulls very hard and then it shifts to 2nd and you're at 60.

I still think my tune needs some work but I just haven't had the time to go through it from start to finish.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TonyVette
You really should do the headers. LS motors love free flowing exhaust, especially with a nice cam. Stock Colorado exhaust manifolds are garbage. Doug Thorley threw a set on a Colorado 5.3 with the rest of the exhaust remaining stock. No tune. Horsepower increased by 22. Horsepower on my truck went from 244whp to 286whp with 2.5" dual exhaust, headers and tune.
Those are some awesome gains, but I have read that stock exhaust manifolds are good when you have split duration cam like the one I am installing (215/223, .604/.610). And then I read another thread that said you definitely need headers with this kind of split duration cam. Seems like there are a couple theories out there.

I plan on getting a dyno tune. So will headers make no difference, a 20hp difference, or 40hp?

Any guesses? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Teching In

15-20ish if your doing long tubes
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM

So I installed the cam and the truck did start up fine. I let it idle for a few minutes..being aware that a tune is required. Then I drove down the road (taking it easy) and the transmission seems like it was slipping pretty badly. Is this normal? Will the tune fix this or is this something mechanical. Transmission fluid is full. Ive scheduled a dyno tune, but thats a few weeks out. What you guys think?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, thanks for updating. I don't have any experience with I, but I would wait for the tune to judge it.

Originally Posted by madmann26
Jee,

This thing makes gobs of torque. With a good tune, you can really feel it. After I had it tuned, I went out and bought HP Tuners and started tinkering with it. I changed a few more things:

1. Removed PE delay for RPM and seconds delay.
2. Enabled PE enrichment ramp to 2.0.
3. PE throttle trigger is at 50%
4. "Other" timing changes based on some feedback from a fellow tuner.
5. Used Bluecat's software to tune the TCC/lockup. Lockup in 4th is now a very noticeable thump.
6. Used JimmyBlue's spreadsheet for the FMC tables. (Holy hell this made a world of difference in shifting)

As for idle clip, of course I have an idle clip; here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2OjOLfnhk

It's not loud but that's partly because of the Dynomax VT muffler.

As for drivability, while cruising, you can't tell a difference from the stocker, until you romp down on it, then it just starts pulling. It does suffer a little off idle with the stock torque converter but with 4.11's it's minimal. I've got a Circle D 3200 waiting to get put in now, just waiting on my guy to say bring it.

As for when the power comes on, for me it's different since I have the 4.11's but off idle through 1st gear (up to when it shifts at 5900), it pulls very hard and then it shifts to 2nd and you're at 60.

I still think my tune needs some work but I just haven't had the time to go through it from start to finish.

Hope this helps.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you like it! If/when I get into tuning I'll have to hit you up on some pointers. I have a t56 so I won't have any shifting to tune.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
OP, thanks for updating. I don't have any experience with I, but I would wait for the tune to judge it.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you like it! If/when I get into tuning I'll have to hit you up on some pointers. I have a t56 so I won't have any shifting to tune.
No problem Jee,

I've made some additional changes to my tune and I am happy with it. It pulls damn well.

As for the transmission acting funny, I don't see how they are related but it could be related I suppose. I know when my cam was installed, I didn't have any issues with shifting and even drove it home on the stock tune but it ran like a$$.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default headers

you will really want the headers. really nice improvement even on
a stocker, i love mine, helped me make 65-70rwhp with my small
VVT cam

Mactech, come on over to the 335Nation.net we are the Colly/Canyon
club
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Update:
So my transmission was actually a couple courts low..mis-read it i guess. Filled it up and no slipping. I ordered a corvette servo and have ordered some mandrel bent exhaust components to upgrade my exhaust.
I did go with the 7.425 pushrods after measuring with the pushrod checker, but it seems like the valvetrain is still noisier than stock, I guess the double springs i put in, buts sounds like lifters to me.
The truck seems pretty lopey at idle without a tune yet. It gallops then smooths out a little. Kind of back and forth. Dyno tune is scheduled for Sept. 11. Hoping to get close to 300rwhp.

Quick Reply: Anyone using LSr cam 265lr hr12