Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone TPI intake a '97 Vortec?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone TPI intake a '97 Vortec?

Tried a search and did not find any reference to anyone doing it. The TPI I know give out at 4500-5000 but good for a tow truck. Injectors and regulator on top.

What wiring harness adapters? Have to use a high dollar Vortec base or redrill a "regular" or angled 89 intake base for a Vortec pattern?

Jet/Tuner cat work for tuning?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed teh crioss ram marine intake on my 97 rcsb. I also did a TPI/Vortec 355 engine in a 1985 IROC-Z using that $400 intake.

I cut the stock injector harness, crimped, soldered and sealed some extension wire on it, then bough an injector connector kit and assembled them on the ends of the extensions.

Redrilling a TPI baseplate wont align the raised Vortec ports, there will be a mismatch no matter what you do. Use a proper lower intake, or drop the Vortec heads and use a conventioal TPI intake.

You are starting to run into the hurdles of tehse trucks, these are what made the marine intake desirable to some.

This will help you, the wiring is exactly the same as what you need to do.
I used Tunercats 2 to tune, all I diod at 1st was change the IFR for the 25 lb/hr injectors that came with the marine intake.

GM Performance :: View topic - Vortec L31 MARINE MANIFOLD project! Q&A

This is the wiring schematic for the injector harness, there are 8 pink grounds and 8 copurr coded wires for the injectors. This diagram is found on page #5 of the above link.
Name:  vortecwire.jpg
Views: 7954
Size:  57.6 KB

peace
Hog
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Default vortec efi intake

Hog,

I have been a lurker on a number of boards and I appreciate your expertise with the L31 engine. My question follows the theme of this thread and is one factor that will have to be considered for a TPI swap.

I have a L31 engine which I am contemplating putting in a 63 Nova. I intend to use the fuel injection (either the black box or 0411 PCM). My question is, will the L31 distributor clear these intakes? Or is there another cam sensor option?

1) TPI with vortec baseplate- I have not read any posting stating one way or the other if there is interference. Will the distributor clear the non-vortec head setup?
2) Holley Stealth ram- distributor apparently hits fuel rail, modification necessary
3) Ram Jet- distributor apparently fits OK
4) Marine- obviously fits
5) Mini-Ram- apparently only for non-Vortec heads, will the Vortec distributor clear this intake?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nova_rookie
Hog,

I have been a lurker on a number of boards and I appreciate your expertise with the L31 engine. My question follows the theme of this thread and is one factor that will have to be considered for a TPI swap.

I have a L31 engine which I am contemplating putting in a 63 Nova. I intend to use the fuel injection (either the black box or 0411 PCM). My question is, will the L31 distributor clear these intakes? Or is there another cam sensor option?

1) TPI with vortec baseplate- I have not read any posting stating one way or the other if there is interference. Will the distributor clear the non-vortec head setup?
2) Holley Stealth ram- distributor apparently hits fuel rail, modification necessary
3) Ram Jet- distributor apparently fits OK
4) Marine- obviously fits
5) Mini-Ram- apparently only for non-Vortec heads, will the Vortec distributor clear this intake?

Thanks,

Mike
1)I know the large integral distributer fits on a Vortec/TPI intake, so the Vortec will as well.

2) Yes minimal mods are required, but the distributer does fit

3) Works 100%

4) Fits 100%

5 Not sure.

If there is some interference sometimes you can clock the distributer 1 or 2 teeth then re-stabb the distributer in the orientation to gains some clearance.

If you need to rev over 6000 rpm, or require a custom operating system for forced induction or the like, be sure to go with teh 0411 PCM over the blackbox.
The 411 also has more complete tuning ability if you are forced to use EFILive. I sue Tunercats 2 so I still have the old 96-97 Blackbox PCM. Jet DST also does whatever TC2 does, except that you cant tune unlimited vehicles like TC2, but the Vortec 1996-2000 5.0/5.7/7.4 support is there, unlike EFILive which is lacking in the 98-99 dept. and non-existant in the 96-97 Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4 arena.

Thanks for teh props.

peace
Hog
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Trucks Sponsor

Just FYI, we offer a TPI Vortec baseplate for $399.95
https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...-center/sd3816
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Scoggin Dickey & Edelbrock both make a TPI baseplate that bolts up to Vortec heads but the stock GM TPI baseplates will not come close to fitting.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. Basically looking for something that gets rid of the internal injectors and regulator and an easy swap. Since TPIs are readily available(have one a friend will give me for free base,runners,fuel rails,plenum) I was thinking of it. Downside of the TPI is they run out of steam up top especially if a 383 sucking on it unless you go bigger runners,plenum. But this is for a street/tow truck so bottom end is the main area.

The marine intake looks good but seems to be harder to find and a moderate amount of effort.

I have a Jet/Tuner Cat to do any tuning.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Skip,

I did find a pic of TPI on an L31 engine:
V8S10.ORG • View topic - need info on a 411 pcm and tpi swap

It is a mock-up pic but the distributor does seem to clear this manifold. Also, I think the stock accessories are on the engine. I just wanted to know what problems may arise if I went this route other than the obvious ones (adding connectors for injectors, configuring throttle cable, tuning, etc.).

Mike
Old 01-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Default anyone tpi a 1997 vortec

How to wire injectors from an L98 when installing in place of an L31
Old 01-08-2015, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

This guy has done a few TPI OBS trucks

DEAD VORTEC REPLACEMENT ON THE CHEAP

Quick Reply: Anyone TPI intake a '97 Vortec?