Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone know what I'll need to replace the Rear wheel bearings?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what I'll need to replace the Rear wheel bearings?

So I finally managed to figure out that my big grinding problem is not my front differential or front wheel bearings, but my REAR wheel bearings. According to parts stores, the bearings themselves is what's usually replaced, not the whole hub assembly.

Now replacing the rear wheel bearings seems like a completely different task than replacing a hub. Considering I've never done this, anyone know the steps and any special tools I might need?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help HOMER SKELTON PONTIAC GMC

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference | Collision Reference | Collision Request Component Search:

Information Charge | Conversion Calculator

2004 Chevy Truck Silverado 1500 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints Axle Bearing Service and Repair With Semi Floating 8.6", 9.5", 9.75" Ring Gear

With Semi Floating 8.6", 9.5", 9.75" Ring Gear
Notes

Rear Axle Shaft Seal and/or Bearing Replacement

Tools Required
J 8092 Universal Driver Handle-3/4 in - 10
J 21128 Axle Pinion Oil Seal Installer (8.6 inch Axle)
J 23690 Axle Shaft Bearing Installer (8.6 inch Axle)
J 2619-01 Slide Hammer
J 29709 Wheel Bearing Installer (9.5 inch Axle)
J 29712 Wheel Bearing Remover (9.5 inch Axle)
J 29713 Axle Seal Installer (9.5 inch Axle)
J 44685 Rear Axle Seal and Bearing Remover (8.6 inch Axle)
Removal Procedure

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
Remove the rear axle housing cover.
Remove the axle shaft.

Remove the axle shaft seal and the bearing from the axle housing using the J 44685 (8.6 inch axle) (1) and the J 2619-01 (2).

Remove the axle shaft seal and the bearing from the axle housing using the J 29712 (9.5 inch axle).
Installation Procedure

Install the axle shaft bearing using the J 23690 (8.6 inch axle) (1) or the J 29709 (9.5 inch axle) (1) and the J 8092 (2).
Drive the axle shaft bearing into the axle housing until the tool bottoms against the tube.

Install the axle shaft seal using the J 21128 (8.6 inch axle) or the J 29713 (9.5 inch axle).
Drive the tool into the bore until the axle shaft seal bottoms flush with the tube.
Install the axle shaft.
Install the rear axle housing cover.
Install the tire and wheel assembly.
Fill the rear axle.
Lower the vehicle.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Old 08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Ugh, seriously? So it's the same way as with old muscle cars. I have to admit I'm surprised. Thought technology would of made it easier to change bearings. This can be a big pain.

Ok, well thanks a lot for the info. I'll have to take a weekend for this.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You dont have to have all the special tools, you can make other stuff work. It should be easily completed in 2-3hrs by a beginner.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I pretty much remember how most of this worked. Basically remove the tire, brakes, rotors, caliper. Then open up the differential housing. I don't rmember what I have to do here to loosen up the shaft. Then I pull the shaft out if i remember correctly, followed by the axle shaft seal, then bearing (using tools). At this point I put in the new bearing, new seal uding other tools.

What is it that I have to do at the differential to loosen the shaft up from the differential? I can't remember this one. ( don't remember what tool I could use for this.

Last edited by SUPERCHARGE; 08-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish the diagrams would copy with the cut/paste it would be more helpful.

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference | Collision Reference | Collision Request Component Search:

Information Charge | Conversion Calculator

2004 Chevy Truck Silverado 1500 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints Axle Shaft Assembly Axle Shaft Service and Repair Rear Axle Shaft Replacement 8.6 Inch, 9.5 Inch Axles

8.6 Inch, 9.5 Inch Axles
Notes

Rear Axle Shaft Replacement (8.6 Inch, 9.5 Inch Axles)

Removal Procedure

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
Remove the brake caliper.
Remove the rear cover and the gasket.
Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt.

On axles without a locking differential, remove the pinion shaft.

On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.

On axles with a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the differential case and rotate the lock (1) until the lock aligns with the thrust block (2).

Push the flange of the axle shaft (1) toward the differential.
Remove the C-lock (4) from the button end of the axle shaft (1).
Important: When removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make the assembly difficult. Remove the axle shaft (1) from the housing (5).
Installation Procedure

Important: Carefully insert the axle shaft in order to not damage the seal. Install the axle shaft (1) into the rear axle housing (5).
Slide the axle shaft (1) into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.
On axles without a locking differential, place the lock (4) on the button end of the axle shaft (1).
On axles with a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.

On axles with a locking differential, place the C-lock (1) on the axle shaft (3) so that the ends are flush with the thrust block (2).
Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.

Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt.
For the 8.6 inch axle, tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 36 Nm (27 ft. lbs.) .
For the 9.5 inch axle, tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
Install the rear cover and the gasket.
Install the brake caliper.
Install the tire and wheel assembly.
Fill the rear axle. Use the proper fluid.
Lower the vehicle.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Ok, I pretty much remember how most of this worked. Basically remove the tire, brakes, rotors, caliper. Then open up the differential housing. I don't rmember what I have to do here to loosen up the shaft. Then I pull the shaft out if i remember correctly, followed by the axle shaft seal, then bearing (using tools). At this point I put in the new bearing, new seal uding other tools.

What is it that I have to do at the differential to loosen the shaft up from the differential? I can't remember this one. ( don't remember what tool I could use for this.
You dont need special tools to install the seal/bearing. Find a piece of pipe or a socket the size of the bearing and use it to tap the bearing in place for the seal I find a small hammer and a pin punch work just fine.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting the bearing out will probably be the biggest pain in the ***. They aren't "press fit" but they are "pushed" into place, which means they have to be "pulled" out. Thats probably the only special tool you will need.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Getting the bearing out will probably be the biggest pain in the ***. They aren't "press fit" but they are "pushed" into place, which means they have to be "pulled" out. Thats probably the only special tool you will need.
Hence the recommended slide hammer.

Last edited by ForcedTQ; 11-16-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks for the details! I found a tool to insert the bearings and seal for 15$. The slide hammer I've seen in action on youtube and it does indeed seem to be the most necessary considering how hard some bearings were to remove on some videos. It is also the most expensive tool unfortunately. I'll keep one handy unopened and see i I can by some fat chance do without it.

So it's clear that I'll need a new bearing and a Seal, but is getting a new pinion shaft locking bolt necessary if it is unworn/undamaged?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know what I'll need to replace the Rear wheel bearings?