Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Any experience with the Dynomax VT muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any experience with the Dynomax VT muffler?

anyone have any experience running the dynomax vt muffler? looking to get rid of my flowmaster 40s soon and the vt caught my eye. suppose to be drone free. they say it flows really well but i can find any flow numbers on their site. if they flow as well as what i have now ill switch.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

well i found the flow numbers. according to dynomax it flow at 841cfm and my flowmaster flows at 373cfm...thats a big difference. and the vt is suppose to be just a hair louder than stock. might have to try that out unless anyone has bad experiences with them
Old 10-18-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

What they don't say is with what other exhaust is on the vehicle.

It could still very well drone and have lots of rasp if you have no cat converters and no resonator before the muffler. I read about the VT catback systems when I was looking at dynomax and saw a few people complain about how loud it is. I went with the dynomax ultra flo catback system on my truck. I still have cats so no drone or rasp at all.

If you did end up with some unwanted noise installing a 3in vibrant ultra quiet resonator takes away just about all the rasp and drone. I used one on my old sierra with offroad Y-Pipe and magnaflow muffler. It popped and had drone without a resonator.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FFDP
What they don't say is with what other exhaust is on the vehicle.

It could still very well drone and have lots of rasp if you have no cat converters and no resonator before the muffler. I read about the VT catback systems when I was looking at dynomax and saw a few people complain about how loud it is. I went with the dynomax ultra flo catback system on my truck. I still have cats so no drone or rasp at all.

If you did end up with some unwanted noise installing a 3in vibrant ultra quiet resonator takes away just about all the rasp and drone. I used one on my old sierra with offroad Y-Pipe and magnaflow muffler. It popped and had drone without a resonator.
Ya I figured there was something lol. I don't have cats and have a y pipe with long tubes, so I think quiet is kinda out of the picture. But it does flow damn near 3 times better than what I have now. Which will be good when I go forced induction. I saw a dunk with it. Gained some bottom end, lost a lil mid, and top end stayed the same. It was only like maybe 3 or 4 hp, not much. But making a resonator is something I would def consider doing also if I got the vt and found out it still has drone.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I ran a magnaflow with my Lightning with long tubes. No drone at all
Old 10-19-2016, 04:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I have heard people complain about the valve rattling in the VT mufflers. Pypes race pros flow well, and are mellow at cruise and idle. I have a Magnaflow on my truck, I put two dynomax bullets upstream from it to tame it down.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I have the 21in VT on my truck now. No drone, sounds good but I am having to change it out due to the flap/spring going bad.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by madmann26
I have the 21in VT on my truck now. No drone, sounds good but I am having to change it out due to the flap/spring going bad.
How loud is it? I'd be running it with not cats and with long tubes. Are they replacing it for free? On dynomax site says it has a lifetime warranty
Old 10-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
I remember a lot of issues with the flapper valve failing in those VT mufflers. I'm not sure if anything has been revised in recent years? But i do remember that when the muffler was new to market, alot of people reported issues with failed flapper valves.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gbrown1320
I remember a lot of issues with the flapper valve failing in those VT mufflers. I'm not sure if anything has been revised in recent years? But i do remember that when the muffler was new to market, alot of people reported issues with failed flapper valves.
Ya that's what I've heard. I'm assuming they got that sorted out since they have a liftetime warranty on the muffler, don't know if they had the before or not. As of recently the only thing I've seen via YouTube that people have reported has been flapper rattle after the engine has been revved up and the Rpms go back down rapidly.