Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GM Engine & Exhaust Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Performance Trucks!
Welcome to Performance Trucks,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
Trader Rating: 0

Default Air filter designs: Cone vs flat vs round. Any advantage?

I was thinking again, does any filter design have a particular advantage? Seems like most of the after market kits (K&N, AirAid, Mac, etc) all use a cone style filter, even Volant uses one in their sealed air box. Is there a reason why? I like my OEM intake with the Ram-Air set up but was wondering if a round filter inside the air box would be better than the flat one. Is there an advantage to the maf being connected directly to the filter like in the after market ones? Seems like it pulls the air directly through the filter that way. The OEM sytle, the MAF connects to the air box and sucks air through the top of the air box, which I guess pulls the air through the filter. I might try another experiment using a round 5.7L Vortec filter. I have an extra OEM air box, I might try and make it fit and connect it directly to the MAF. What you all think?
Jim
Best track time: .184 RT, 2.19 60', 9.48 @ 74.65 mph 1/8 and 14.76 @ 91.59 mph 1/4. Best G-tech: 0-60 in 6.29 & 1/4 in 14.73
Other car: 08 Mazda Speed 3, Cosmic Blue Mica
Stock for now.
Ram4Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #2
Trader Rating: 0
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Air filter designs: Cone vs flat vs round. Any advantage?

as far as flow goes i dont see it making any large difference on the cars. but what are the surface areas of the cone filters versus the flat filters? might be something to look at?

bryan

2000 gmc sierra 4.8L
really slow truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 04:33 PM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
335i, advantages, aftermarket, air, bmw, box, cone, designs, filter, filters, flat, iar, oem, panel, round, vs