Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50K + miles later after cam still have a random tap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Jaa
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought sense it started after the cam was installed are you positive you have the right size push rod
Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem after a head and cam install. I had the stethoscope out checking all over. Some days were louder than others. I swore it wasn't an exhaust leak but it ended up being a header flange gasket leak on the underside. I only found it because i seen black soot on my plugs.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jaa
Just a thought sense it started after the cam was installed are you positive you have the right size push rod
Yea I milled the heads 0.03 and used 0.04 thick head gaskets. Also a buddy let me barrow a pushrod length checker at the time b/c the 1st set of pushrods were 7.375 and I noticed wear mark on the bottom half of the valve stems. So then we checked the length and 7.350 is what it said, so I swapped them and now the rocker arm wear mark is in the center of the valve stem, where it should be.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I had the same problem after a head and cam install. I had the stethoscope out checking all over. Some days were louder than others. I swore it wasn't an exhaust leak but it ended up being a header flange gasket leak on the underside. I only found it because i seen black soot on my plugs.
I'll take a look with a mirror and check the bottom of header flanges. I might change the gasket this summer.