Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector install

Got my new tune in yesterday, so we're going to be installing the new injectors this weekend. How hard of a job is this going to be? What all has to be done to get to the injectors? I've heard they can be a PITA to pull out, so anybody with some suggestions on the removal and replacement please post up. Thanks guys
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to do. Just go to Autozone and get a repair, service and maintenance manuals by Chilton, Haynes. It will give up step by step on how to do it. That's what i did and it saved me alot of headaches.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Check out this post in LS1Tech> LS1 - Etc Performance under Fuel and Injection for How To: Fuel Injector Swap. I am changing injectors as well and found this post just yesterday.
I also looked up on Vortech and downloaded their PDF for 1999-2002 4.8/5.3/6.0 Trucks/SUV. They have an abbreviated description of how to do: Fuel Injector Replacement in step 7. on page 6 of their Installation Guide ( Page 16 of the PDF file).

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my in my 5.3. Removed the brakets holding down the wirring harness laying on top of the intake manifold. I also didn't have new seals for the rails and crossover line so I didn't want to diconnect the three pieces.

To unplug the harness from the injector pull the grey lock up.

So the tab (black) can be pushed in. Then just pull the harness off.

Sorry if you already knew how to remove the harness.

Next disconnect the fuel suppliy and return lines from the left rail.
Remove the four bolts holding bothe rails down and begain working the injectors out of the heads.
Once removed the injectors come out of the rail the same way they came out of the head.

Besure to lube the new injector o-rings when installing.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 AM

wow nobody had replied when I started my post. sounds like they got you covered.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

First take of the intake cover, unplug each injector, pull out the two bolts on each side that hold the fuel rails down and then remove the crossover tube. There will be one torque bit style screw holding each side down. When removing it first slowly pull up the pass side, but hold a rag around it so you dont get sprayed with fuel. After lifting it out of each rail you will be able to pull the rails out. With the rails out there is a retaining clip on each injector that you can pop off with a flat head. When putting it all back together i use a silicone spray on all the o-rings and it all goes back together really easy. Before putting each rail back in i will also spray some silicone where each injector goes into the intake and also on each o-ring on the crossover tube. Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2005, 11:59 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
wow nobody had replied when I started my post. sounds like they got you covered.
Yea, but look how dirty your engine bay is j/k
Old 04-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks for pointing that out J/K
Old 04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Careful of the injector retaining clips, they can go flying off, so take your time on them. Also, you are not supposed to lube the o-rings with motor oil, I was told it can damage them and cause them not to seal properly. I use lithium grease. Releive the pressure in the rail by pressing in the schrade valve and catch the excess fuel with a rag. The seals from the crossover are o-rings, so if you dont damage them they can be reused. I believe it is a t20(maybe t25?) torx and maybe a couple of 8mm(maybe 7) to remove the rails. Everything else has been covered I think, some of this may actually be reapeats. It is very easy, and you should be able to change them in about 1/2 hr- maybe 1hr for a first timer. Careful with the injector o-rings, dont try to force them in or they can tear on the metal part of the injector.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!!! The pics are going to come in handy too!! I have a Hayes book, and I'm going to print out all of these replies, so maybe I won't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Injector install