Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3L pinging problem

Old 06-22-2015, 04:47 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it's still kinda pinging and gets no KR while pinging but retards after... I remember my turbo truck used to do same thing and had a lot of false knock so I disabled all of that ****.. I finally got my laptop online and here is the tune. I adjusted shifts a little and tq management, speedo and limiter. The rest is untouched by me.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Tahoe shift points.hpt (569.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: hpl
Tahoe log 3.hpl (35.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Why did you set the shift times to .000 for normal and performance??? The truck can't even do things that quickly.

Otherwise like you said, everything looks stock.

Not sure why it shows a little knock when you let off, but it doesnt seem to harm anything. Maybe something rubs of something.

And you have a pretty bad vacuum leak that you need to fix. Your fuel trims tell of a vacuum leak, look at how they are always near +14ish or so, then max out at +16.4. I would fix that and then see how things go.

Messing with the timing, some PE enrichment and perhaps adjusting the burst knock tables can lead to less random kr pop up.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Don't run shift times at 00 in a 4l60e, in a 80e its fine but not a 60e.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Ok great thanks. How low can shift time be set and be ok? It was really dragging out before lol. Vacuum was one thing I didn't look at. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:40 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FFDP
Why did you set the shift times to .000 for normal and performance??? The truck can't even do things that quickly.

Otherwise like you said, everything looks stock.

Not sure why it shows a little knock when you let off, but it doesnt seem to harm anything. Maybe something rubs of something.

And you have a pretty bad vacuum leak that you need to fix. Your fuel trims tell of a vacuum leak, look at how they are always near +14ish or so, then max out at +16.4. I would fix that and then see how things go.

Messing with the timing, some PE enrichment and perhaps adjusting the burst knock tables can lead to less random kr pop up.
Reason I did it for normal is I always forget to put things in tow haul, and also when I tow I want everything factory. I don't push things hard while towing. Trans was feeling really good after zeroing those out but I don't want to mess it up so I will add some delay. Was late last night when I did all that and I was in a hurry. I did notice trims looked a little high but been so long since I have messed with this stuff lol. All I use is holley on all my builds now and have not touched tune on my truck for like 5+ years.

Last edited by stock48; 06-22-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, Im pretty sure Justin has my shift times zeroed out(tow/haul only) and I have no issues. I run my truck in tow/haul all the time unless im actually towing haha.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:11 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by black00chev
If it makes you feel any better, Im pretty sure Justin has my shift times zeroed out(tow/haul only) and I have no issues. I run my truck in tow/haul all the time unless im actually towing haha.
Yea like I said it sure feels a lot better but I dnt want to jack it up. Trans is stock with no shift kit. Just has a nice lunge on shift doesn't bang or slam. Iirc I did same thing on my Dmax Alison a few years ago and it's still going.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you ever figure out your pinging problem, let me know. I can hear detonation in my truck at WOT past 80 so i did a log an the most it showed was 1* and it wasnt even where i heard it. im not really sure where to even start...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I did a vacuum check and looks like intake gaskets are good has 20+'' at idle in park. Cleaned MAFS and a little better but it's hot out so ecu is pulling some timing due to IAT's. I did do a fuel psi check and it has 57~58 at idle and 52 at WOT. Thinking pump might be getting a little tired. Also have a stock air box for it but need clamps and some stuff to put it on.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GM_Devil
if you ever figure out your pinging problem, let me know. I can hear detonation in my truck at WOT past 80 so i did a log an the most it showed was 1* and it wasnt even where i heard it. im not really sure where to even start...
Yea the knock sensors don't work very well on these things I have noticed. What is command vs actual timing where you hear the ping?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3L pinging problem